Should I change the date for my party?

I am planning a birthday party for my son & his Dad. My sons 3rd birthday is September 20th & my husbands is September 28th. I was planning on having their party together on Saturday the 21st. I told my mother in-law months ago because my husbands nieces birthday is on September 19th. I called the date in advance so I could have their party when I want. Now my mother in-law says I should move my party to the next weekend the weekend of my husbands bday, so the little girl can have her party the weekend of her birthday. I don't think I should, I called the date first. I think they should plan her birthday for another weekend.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2013 in Relationships

• Not to be rude, because every single person deserves to have their individual birthdays celebrated.... however, this sounds so immature to me.

Do what you want when you want to do it. No one can tell you to do something, you are an adult.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Why not talk to your niece's Mom & see if in fact they are having her party that Saturday. In the future I would touch base with her since your children's B-Days are so close & leave your MIL out of it altogether. I wouldn't have a problem making my kids party the same weekend as my husbands B-Day. I usually never have their parties on their actual Birthday anyway.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:53 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Who ever sent formal invitations first would have the date reserved. "Calling" the date doesn't count, nor does a FB invite or a text.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I'd just change it to keep the peace.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 4:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• This sounds very childish to me. I called it? How old are you?
    Frankly it feels as though you did this knowing full well it was going to cause problems but like a child you called this child's birthday for yourself.. It is kind of sad that you are this petty that you need to pick this day instead of your own son's birthday. Each child deserves their own day and should not have their parents competing to see which of their children is "loved" the best.
    I suggest you have a party for your son on HIS day and a quiet dinner for your hubby's
    and grow up.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:09 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Why can't you have the party with her, does an adult man really need a birthday party with a pinata? I think being nice and asking if she would like to do it together would be a great gesture.
    My husband would prefer to spend his birthday with out children.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Why not move the party? I know you 'called' the date first, but is it really worth going to war with your family over? Sometimes proving yourself right isn't worth the battle.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I personally always consider my nieces and nephews birthdays before I plan anything. My daughter and my oldest niece have birthdays 4 days a part. We just have a party together so that is easy for us. You have a situation here where you and the other mom just need to talk about how you want to handle it. If you don't want joint parties (and since it is different genders I can understand that), then you should either stagger your parties..or one can have it on Sunday. Nothing wrong with parties on Sundays. No need to not work together on solving this though.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 7:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• You needed to coordinate with the parents of the niece, NOT your MIL.

I would NOT combine a three year old's party with an adult's party. I might consider combining the parties of the two kids, so that together you can do more. My best friend and I used to do joint birthdays all the time; we were three days apart.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:39 AM on Aug. 2, 2013

• you right I agreed..
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 3, 2013