Hope Montessori Academy

Anyones child(ren) attend this school, we will be attending an open house soon...but curious as to what you're personal experience has been. I hear they can be very expensive...is it worth it, in your opinion?

All and any information would be helpful. TIA.

geminisummerz

Asked by geminisummerz at 6:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You might have better luck with google, it is doubtful that there is anyone on here who is from your hometown and has recent experience with it.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Montessori in general...thanks.
    geminisummerz

Comment by geminisummerz (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• You might want to save that money for college or university. Montessori is great but when the child goes to regular school they tend to level out with the other kids. It's way more important for their future to invest in lessons and college and maybe even a few family vacations. Good luck with your choice

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 7:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Granted, this was years ago but I was not terribly impressed with Montessori. It seemed incredibly expensive for very little substance. I think there are definitely ways you can utilize some of the method at home, for free.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I think if you can afford it, why not, but you still need to check out the individual school that you are thinking about, as in almost all cases with all schools the teacher and the environment are what is important.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• My girls went for a short period and I was not impressed, took them out right away.....they have no grading system and no competitiveness air...

Answer by older at 7:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• My DD has been attending for the past 1.5 yrs. She's about ready to start Kindergarten there.

It works well for her. We pulled her from a traditional young pre-K school because she was showing some negative effects of group teaching. Montessori schools are self-led, where they work a lot individually at stations. She learns a wide variety of basic life skills and motor development.

Schools can vary widely depending on the staff, so you'll be better off finding one that adheres to the guidelines set up by the founders. Look for online reviews from other parents. Visit a class and ask questions.

Not every child fits well in this type of environment. Good luck if you do decide to go with it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• We loved it. It was high quality education and worth the expense. I knew kindergarten ears in my child's class reading at a middle school level. My own child was completing multiplication and division in kindergarten. It was fabulous. He had excellently prepared teachers. I do not regret the tuition.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• If you want some feedback try www.greatschools.com they usually have some parent ratings. Clumping Montessori together is like clumping all public schools together. Some Montessories spend a great deal of money on ever changing learning stations, have lower student to teacher ratios and teachers with special training, others take the name, do the minimum and charge a big fee. I would do a little research on the philosophy behind the program. I was a Montessori kid and it was worth every penny for me that my parents spent--probably learned more there that actually carried with me than from 1st grade to high school graduation, but I had the perfect "personality" type for Montessori. As always your Mommy gut usually wins over references, philosophy and even budgets.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2013