HELP!

OMG you guys, my son went to the lake a couple days ago and got a sunburn on his shoulders/ upper arms and he just took a shower and he's been literally screaming in pain for like 20 min now...

he was trying to put on his shirt - and I told him to stop...so he yelled at me
I told him to come downtairs and put some aloe on it and he did- but he is screaming still, and punding on the counter- says he has never been in so much pain

there is definitely a burn- but it isn't like RELLY bad and especially not for how he is carrying on...he is 17

I know he has always had issues with how shirts feel, and socks and such - and seems to get a little overboard when he has some pain, and especially when he is itchy- but HOLY MOLY

any ideas? thoughts? I just want hime to stop and feel better- you would think someone is stabbing him to death or something - he is now hitting himself with a pillow because I told him to stop and focus on breathing...YIKES

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 9:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2013 in Health

• Try some vinegar!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 9:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Do you have Cortisone cream? Gently place it on & I'd give him Motrin or Tylenol & tell him the bottle says it takes away sunburn pain in minutes (hide the bottle).

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• aloe vera for sun burn, put it in the fridge to get cold and apply, I have also heard of using noxema to comfort a sunburn
    B.Conley75

Answer by B.Conley75 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• If he is in that much pain I would take him in. They may be able to either give him some oral meds or some other type of cream to help the pain.

A 17 yr old screaming like that has to be in a lot of pain.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I don't know about the baking soda. I do know that vinegar will help a lot. If it keeps hurting that bad after the tylenol... you might call the doctor. I am a redhead and have had many bad sunburns when I was that age. I have nver had one that made me scream in pain though....so that is worrisome to me and I would call the doc.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• How about a cool cloth, maybe an ice pack?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I have used Listerine original (brown one) in a spray bottle on myself and my children.. Burns the hell out of my mouth but on sunburn it is really cold and cooling.. Old lady told me about it once when I got way too much sun..I have also used milk on my kids, something about the proteins in the milk ease the burn.. I put it in a bowl and dabbed it on with a washcloth and let it air dry on the skin..

I hope he feels better soon.. If he has any open areas or blisters I wouldn't use the Listerine..just in case
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• excedrin works quickly
    try to do something to take his mind off it. maybe have him watch you tube videos (that's what my 17 yr old is doing right now)
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Motrin and lotion.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• no blisters yet

and I gave him tylenol...he got back into the shower and as of about 2 seconds ag0- stopped screaming...but he can't stay in there all night

* well he started up again...ugh
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2013