Assuming that your average person believes in choice in patient care

If someone had all the facts would you support a homebirth? If a person had all the facts and wanted an elective cesarean would you support them? If not why? Can you see the small similarities or are they totally different realizing that in both cases they have full informed consent?
This is another person you know not whether or not you would do it.

It's part of a project I've got going for school on improving satisfaction and safety in maternity care.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 2:51 AM on Aug. 2, 2013 in Pregnancy

• You basically hire a doctor to tell you what your best options are.
    Natural birth is just that. Like all natural processes problems can occur. You take that as a give.
    C-sections are interventions and a doctor has the right to exercise his conscious on whether he is willing to do elective surgery in this case. Informed or not you do not have the training to evaluate all the parameters, As a patient you have the right to express you desire for a certain thing.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:22 AM on Aug. 2, 2013

• A homebirth - assuming that in addition to having all the facts, the person was not considered at risk for problems (yes, they can develop, but I'm saying if the doctor hasn't told her there's a specific risk that she's likely to suffer from), yes I would support that.

An elective C-section - Surgery is risky, regardless of what kind it is. A c-section is risky for you and for your baby, and I don't think I could support choosing to take that kind of risk when it's not necessary. I also don't think a doctor should be forced to perform it just because it's what you want, because if something goes wrong, now you can turn around and sue him. I think c-sections should be left as they were intended: as a final resort when Mom or baby is in danger or when it's clear that labor and delivery isn't going to progress and happen on their own.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:27 AM on Aug. 2, 2013

• Would I be supportive? I'd feel like if that's what they want to do..............it's up to the mom, but I'd want to know why. To me, having had 5 kids and expecting a 6th, all vaginal births, an elective C-section carries more risk than the natural way.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 8:16 AM on Aug. 2, 2013

• I can't think of a good reason to care how other women give birth, unless it's downright harmful to the baby.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 8:57 AM on Aug. 2, 2013

• C-section is not more risky for the child then a vaginal birth of course when done at the same gestation period as a vaginal birth would be. Homebirth can be risky as well because of the lack of emergency medical care if needed.

I see them both as equals as long as the elective csection is not done earlier then the baby is developmentally ready, and the homebirth is not attempted when the women clearly has high risk factors in pregnancy.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2013

• I'm not sure what you're asking. I would have no opinion on how someone else decided to have her baby, as long as she was seeing a doctor who had explained the options and their associated risks to her.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2013

• Sure, if they wanted me to be supportive, I could feign support. I may not agree with their choice, but it is just that.....their choice.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2013

• Research specifically of maternal choice c-sections performed at 39+ weeks in women planning small families of 3 or less without pre-existing conditions has basically the same risks of mortality and morbidity(actually this was a bit lower). China has a high rate of maternal choice c-sections so people have been able to study it for several years now.

It turns out that one of the most important factors in maternal satisfaction is support from family,friends and community.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2013

• I just wanted to say something regarding what tntmom wrote, since I was actually just looking up research articles on this today. Evidence actually has shown that there is a greater incidence of respiratory distress in infants born by scheduled cesarean. That increase essentially goes away if the mom was in labor first, but there IS a greater risk (in the form of respiratory issues) to the baby when a cesarean is scheduled as opposed to a vaginal delivery that progresses normally where there is no indication for need of a cesarean. Also, the establishment of intestinal flora (the good bacteria in your digestive tract) is very different in c-section babies. A study from 2003 showed that the risk for developing symptoms of asthma and/or gastroenteritis bad enough to need hospital care in C-section born children older than 1 year was greatly increased, the speculated cause being difference in gut bacteria.
    katinthehat8914

Answer by katinthehat8914 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2013

• The intestinal flora is a theory that really hasn't had much done with it in follow up and it does have a whole lot of variables that basically can't be eliminated easily. Transient tachypnea is mostly eliminated by waiting until 39+ weeks. It took a long time to get enough of a sample group of optional planned c-sections in women having their first baby. In China about 21% of the countries c-sections are maternal request so they've provided us a lot of data we've never had before.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2013