Electronics on field trips

is it the norm now that on field trips to the museum, zoo, etc that alot of kids bring their DS, ipod, etc to entertain them on the bus?

what are your thoughts on this? I'm not a fan because too many questions. do they stay on the bus? driver responsible? etc

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 12:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2013 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't have thought teachers and bus drivers would want kids to have electronics on the bus because of the chance the stuff could get lost or stolen. I'm quite certain there must be a "owner is responsible for loss or theft" policy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2013

• My kids didn't take theirs on the field trips they went on this year - 6th and 7th grade. I wouldn't want my kids, especially elementary age, taking any of their electronics.

Answer by missanc at 12:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2013

• No, it's NOT the norm!! Why would you send that stuff in for the kids to loose or break? The driver is NOT responsible for stuff left on the bus... the kids are responsible for their own stuff, period!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2013

• My son's school and summer camp say they can bring electronics on trips and to school/camp but they are not responsible for what they bring.

My son does not take electronics. I tell him to entertain himself with reading and talking, laughing with friends.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2013

• I am not a fan but I can see the advantages of having something to entertain the kids but come on the trip isn't that long. We do not have to be entertained every minute of the day.
    My thought is if you bring it you are responsible. If it is used during the field trip it is mine.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2013

• I wouldn't send any of it to school OR a field trip. You wanna entertain yourself? Look out the window and play "I spy" like we had to!!!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2013

• Not in our school district. Kids are supposed to use travel time to visit with their seatmates.

If kids bring electronics to school, the school absolves itself of all responsibility and liability, meaning tough toenails if it is stolen or you lose it.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2013