Is it a good thing or a bad thing? If you have relatives that survived the depression...

they seem to have learned from what happened back then and lived a meager life to survive. Is this recession going to cause all of us to become Ramseyfied, or will we all go back to living beyond our means when the recession subsides?

akinbottom2

Asked by akinbottom2 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yep I sure did and she taught me a lot, and if she didn't have alzheimer now she'd be screaming at the top of her lungs and I am quite sure my grandpa is rolling over in his grave swearing at what is going on right now.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 6:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• people will always be greedy it is in there nature...
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 5:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Love Dave Ramsey. Too many spoiled people that feel they are ENTITLED to Discretionary Income, Home Ownership, a College Education. Too many businesses that feel they are TOO Big to fail and the Govt must save them.  Too many politicians that feel Social Programs will save the US and we must spend.

Not enough people, businesses and Government Officials, holding their wallets close to their chest and living a frugal existence.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Ah yes, Dave Ramsey...a man who SELLS stuff to help you get out of debt! And then talks on a radio show that is funded by commercials trying to get you to BUY more stuff...LOL! Don't you just LOVE capitalism??!! LOL!

But, hopefully people will be willing to part with their expensive luxuries...but wait, then what happens? If nobody buys anything...what then? Capitalism survives by people buying things...lots and lots of things...nobody buys things, then no more capitalism, right? Now I'm confused...
    Anonymous

• anon 429, I never understood Dave Ramsey either. He tells people to cut up credit cards but accepts credit cards to purchase his products. I'm not even going to go thru the religion aspect of his programs.
    Anonymous

• That's interesteing anon :29 & :33. I do understand much of Ramsey. "If you don't have the money to buy it, then DON'T buy it", what don't you understand? Have you ever spent your way out of debt? Just curious. Either of you?
    Anonymous

• I know what you mean, PP. MY dh's company actually paid for us to take his Financial Peace University course and when we declined they told us 'This is a very expensive course...if you paid for it yourself it would cost you hundreds of dollars!'...I told dh, 'Wait...he charges hundreds of dollars for his course? Why not just skip the course and put it towards your bills and you would be on your way?' LOL! So, we took the course (because dh got paid for taking it and it was free and they served a meal...LOL!) only to find out it was stuff I had been doing with our money for years...which is why we aren't in debt. I missed my calling...I could have been a 'financial adviser' like Dave if I had only been a bit smarter on ripping people off...I could be a millionaire right now like him! LOL!
    Anonymous

• people will continue to be greedy my husbands grandparents and my great grandparents think this is a pathetic mess and that we are doomed by our own hand
    Anonymous

• anon 433 here, no I never spent my way out of debt, nor did I ever spend my way into debt either. In fact, upon discovering the high prices of Dave Ramsey paraphernalia I soon figured out he was a scam artist just like most of the people on late night infomercials. If he is as wealthy as he hints around at being, he should be broadcasting live on youtube for free and issuing free internet emails or newsletters for his followers. NOT CHARGING AN ARM AND LEG to people who are hurting enough to turn to him. If you want out of debt, READ YOUR BIBLE.

Anonymous

• So he doesn't deserve to make a living? His time isn't worth anything? Should he have to give financial advise for free, just because you 'could' do the same? And if you can do the same, why not do it here? You could start your own group advising others on financial decisions.
    Anonymous