to circumcize or not?

Don't know if I am carrying a boy or girl yet but I have absolutely no opinion on the question and figure I may need to figure it out someday soon. what do you ladies think or know about the subject?

LuckyClown

Asked by LuckyClown at 5:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There is no conclusive medical proof of significant cause to circumsize. I would say rather than search the internet (where sites can be biased and frightening) check noteworthy and trusted sources like What to Expect and Parents Mag as well as your doctor for info if you're debating it. I don't agree with the procedure and don't intend such for my son (and my fiance is vehemently against it as well) but I'm not about to tell you how to do for you and your child. Everyone has to make these decisions for themselves, but please note that it is an elective procedure. The reason it is not automatically done is that there is no real significant proof that it is better than leaving the foreskin intact.

As I said, it's entirely your choice but please make sure you educate yourself fully to both sides before you make it.
    Reulia

Answer by Reulia at 9:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• there is no good reason to do it.

I would allow it up to your son to make that decision when hes older...as its his body.

Just my opinion :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• i did with both my boys. im 23 weeks with another boy and plan on getting it done.its all up to u.good luck!
    Anonymous

• This has already been answered. Read back in the Dsily Buzz!
    Anonymous

• Research yourself, talk to a pedi you pick and DO NOT go to any biased sites.

Anonymous

• I had my son done. Its not as clean. Your going to hear all kinds of stuff now. So be ready.
    I work in a nursing home and the men that aren't circumsized can have alot of problems. We have hospice that comes in and when they clean it they pull the skin down, and don't put it back.. well it swells up like a balloon and turns BLUE and is very painful for the person. We have to put ice on it to get the swelling to go down just to pull the skin back down. Its like a rubberband.
    Now I know this is at the end of their life, but you never want your child in pain. And yes- these people should and do know better... but you can't control something that isn't in your hands.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• it's healthier to get him circumsized. it's alot easier to clean and won't get infected as easily. if you wait until he is older it will just be more painful for him.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 5:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• And I'm sorry your son will NOT do it when he is older. Who would want that procedure done when they are older? Verrry few.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I had mine done b/c I can't stand uncircumcized penis on grown men. Let the kid decide? Are you kidding me? lol
    Anonymous

• It's a barabric ritual that is (for a reason unknown to the majority of world) quite normal in America.

The arguments seem to be,
    1 - it's cleaner, lower risk of infection - in which the counter point would be, teach your son to wash just like the rest of the world does, our men here do just fine without slicing off a part of their penis.

2. It looks better. - In which the counter argument is, "Huh?" no.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009