For all those in the Nursing field...

I currently have my CNA and work for a home health agency. I helped one of my friends get hired onto the same agency and she told me that my boss told her, that if she gets her CNA and her HHA, that she will make more $ an hour because she is certified in more than one thing.

This to me does not make sense. Of course if this is true, then i would like to get my HHA. Who wouldnt? But it seems silly to me, to go back to school to get my HHA, when you learn more as a CNA. Wont i be learning the exact same thing basically? It just seems odd because its like if i were an LPN and my boss told me i would make more money if i went back to school to get my CMA. That would be silly since as an LPN you know way more and learn way more in school for that.

So my question is, what exactly is the training for a HHA and how is it different then the CNA course? How would it make a big enough difference to change the amount you make by having both?

Thanks ya'll :-)

Mommy103110

Asked by Mommy103110 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 3, 2013 in Money & Work

• Not in the nursing field, so I can't answer your question specifically. But I've observed over the years in other professions that extra letters after your name mean more money.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:15 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• Frankly, why stop at those? You're never going to make substantial money at either. I would go for my RN if I had the time and money. By getting your RN, you can by pass all that piddly stuff and go for the big stuff. RN leaves you in charge of your career, not them. Go BIG girl!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• I was trying to find some info to share, but through Google learned that the training varies by state for each position. Look up your state health department and find out details. Most articles did say that the more positions you are trained for the more money you will make. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:39 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• I'm not in the nursing field, but my mom, sister, and SIL are. From my understanding, you can be a CNA and a HHA without any formal education. Most hospitals, nursing homes, etc train you on site. So if I were you and I was considering going back to school, then I'd go for my RN. I wouldn't bother with something that doesn't move me UP the "chain".
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:36 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• Yes it's called a modality and the more modalities you can work the more money you will make as you aren't restricted to just ONE thing. COurse wise tehy are similar but a HHA may help more in daily tasks forteh patients such as accompanying them for medical appointments of grocery shopping etc and typically see fewer patients than a CNA so they develop stronger patient care and interaction skills.  

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2013