she refuses to sleep!!!!!

My 7 almost 8 month old is doing this new thing where she wakes up at 3-3:30 every morning and stays up for anywhere between 1-2 horus.......how can i help her sleep

Kennadismom

Asked by Kennadismom at 5:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ya, that's fun, isn't it?? Lol. It's probably a phase that you can't much control.

Where does your baby sleep? We cosleep with our DD and put a babygate up at the bedroom door. If she wakes at night and our usual soothing techniques don't work (sometimes I swear she gets ahold of a caffeine pill, lol) we just pretend we are sleeping and hope she gets bored of the dark, lol.

If your baby sleeps in her crib, does she cry when she wakes up, or will she happily play in the dark? If it's the latter, then just let her play until she falls asleep.

Anyway, if you're a little more specific as to the sleeping arrangement and what she does, maybe I can think of something else :P
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 6:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• she co sleeps in my bed with me and i try to ignore her and let her get bored like you said lol but it doesnt always work! she wil crawl on my face and stuff to make sure im awake! i agree i think they put caffeine in baby food lol....that only kicks in once we are deep sleeping lol
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 6:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My little girl does the same thing, only about once a week though. I just let her crawl all over me. She usaully gets bored, and (i know this is probably not good) she lays down and I nurse her back to sleep. I have school in the mornings so I can't play all night.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 8:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Its a phase, fortunately. DD would do this every once in a while for a couple days. We coslept too. I always just pretended I was asleep, but that really doesn't help when they're kicking you in the back lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• This phase does end. We coslept with our daughters as well. Our 3 year old still comes to our bed in the middle of the night almost every night. When they wouldn't settle down and stay asleep we just dealt with it (nurse them back to sleep, ignore, try to ignore). Once they were a little older they knew that if they didn't lay quietly mommy would move them to their own crib and make them stay there. None of my children liked that so it only took once or twice and they figured out how to lay quietly awake if they wanted to stay in my bed! It didn't really work until they were about 1 year old though.
    Mindy-KidCentri

Answer by Mindy-KidCentri at 9:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Yeah, I nurse my DD to sleep still and she is 20 months, but I don't see it as a negative thing. In fact, the US is virtually the only place in the world where this would be considered "abnormal".

Does she refuse to nurse back to sleep when she wakes all giddy?
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• my son wakes up.. and i leave him.. he has a few toys in his bed.. sometimes i hear him talking, laughing or doing whatever.. he's 7 months old, and he's old enough to be an independant player.. usually i listen for a bit, if he cries i go to him.. he usually goes back to sleep within a half hour.. he's never wet, or soaked thru ( love his diapers-_) he just wakes up.. but the biggest thing i learned, was if they arent crying.. leave them be..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• SweetScrappin' - can't agree more :) So great to hear someone have such a caring and realistic attitude towards their kids. Although, I guess I wouldn't classify a 7 month old as independent, lol, but as long as you are responding to him when he cries, call it whatever you want!! :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 6:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2009