Hit and run

My brother was hit while riding his bicycle home from work yesterday morning about 12:30 or so. He will be in the hospital for a few days,he has staples in his head now,and he's beat up something aweful. He's the sweetest brother a sister could ever have,and it kills me to know that he could've been dead. He was found later by someone who saw his flashing light on his bike and noticed a body laying unconscious a few feet away. If you have to ride your bike at night wear a light on your head something that is noticable,and a helmet,and some protection for your hands! Noones come forth to admit their wrong doing,so in the meantime by brother is gonna be hit with a huge medical bill. I think if your going to hit someone think twice about running because I swear they should charge anyone who does that with something serious like manslaughter.

We can't get it on the news because of their stupid rule about waiting for an investigatie office. Meantime the asshole that hit my brother gets away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2013 in Health

• I think if your going to hit someone think twice about running because I swear they should charge anyone who does that with something serious like manslaughter.

Well, first of all, he/she can't be charged with manslaughter because your brother isn't dead. If he had died, then they would be if they found the person. Second, "if you're going to hit someone"? Somehow I doubt that the person deliberately hit your brother. At that time of night, I'd bet they were either too tired to be driving, or they were drunk - more than likely, drunk, because they would definitely run then.

I'm glad your brother is okay.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:52 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• So sorry your brother got hurt. Glad his prognosis is good. Like wendy said, I'm betting whoever hit your brother had a record or warrants, a suspended license, or was drunk. That does not excuse what they did & they should be punished. Hopefully the police are looking at any cameras that may be in the area to try & figure out who did it. Some states have accounts set up for victims of crime, so your brother may want to look into that, to get help with his medical bills. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:07 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• contact your local DHS off ice and tell them what happened.
    since he will have no income he may be eligible for emergency medicaid
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:47 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• So it's been reported to the police right??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• Not sure how it works but when something like this happens, there is usually a new report or article in the paper.
    I hope he has a successful recovery. The hospital may have a charity program that can help with the medical bills and he may be eligible for emergency Medicaid.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• glad he will be ok, think about how 'blessed' your family is, some families have other outcomes

as for the driver 99% chance they did not they hit someone, if they did not know, they were most likely way drunk, either way - most likely a drunk driver. there is still a chance they will find out who it was- still early- not great chance but possible

check agencies to see if medical bills can be worked out, also possible news about this would get people to donate to his bills

so glad he will be 100% with some healing time
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:38 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• You will need to settle now for the blessing that he is still alive. Same thing happened to my BIL almost a year ago. He was touch and go for the first few weeks and was Ina coma for at leat a week after it happened. The shitbag that hit him left him in a ditch to die like an animal. The police dismissed him not getting back from his ride as him wanting to get away froma snagging wife. If not for the diligence of his family and friends forming their own search party and looking for him at night he surely would have died that night, halfway laying in a water filled ditch. They still never found the person responsible for this tragedy, but he is blessed to be able to walk and work. Check with your state's victim advocacy to see if they have help with paying medical expenses.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:59 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• I'm glad your brother will be all right. Thank goodness someone saw his helmet light and stopped to help him. I hope the person responsible for hitting him is found and prosecuted. I can understand how you would feel angry and upset.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• This is awful. People do this all the time, sadly, that is why it's important to have your own insurance, always. Did you say if your bro has insurance?

I am in a city where bikes and cars co-exist but frankly, it's a dicey business. The car seems to always win and the mayor likes to cover up the number of deaths from the public.

I'm glad to hear your brother will be okay. They might get the guy, you never know. There is always karma too. Just be thankful he's alive.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2013