Getting 1st child ready for the 2nd (GIFT ?)

My sil just gave me a good idea. My daughter will be 2 in May and i'm due in 4 weeks. She is already acting up because she knows something is about to happen. I even think she gets that she's gonna have a baby sister around because she starting to get upset when we talk about it (trying to get her ready).
My sil said another way to get her involved was to take her to buy a present (like stuffed animal) to take to the baby and then have a gift from the baby to her. She thought it might ease the transition. I thought it was good idea.

Have any of you done this? What did you get for each? How did you deal with getting your 2nd ready? Any other ideas?

kinzleysmommy

Asked by kinzleysmommy at 5:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When I was pregnant with my ds, we got a Sesame Street movie that for dd. It was about Baby Bear and Curly Bear. Baby Bear's mom was pregnant with his sister. It helped explain to my dd what to expect about the new baby. As for gifts dh and I gave gifts to the older siblings at home so they would not feel ignored. I was also going to suggest what your sil said about getting a gift that the baby could "give" to the big sister.

abelmm2

Answer by abelmm2 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• You could go get a plain white or pink tee and some fabric paint make a BIG SISTER shirt. She could paint the back of it. Hope it helped.
    mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 5:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• No we didnt do that.

We talked about the baby, let him come to u/s visits with us, let him feel the baby. We had a special book about big brothers and new additions coming that we read daily.

He never acted out about having a sibling, I dont think the thought occurred to him.

Knowing my son though, had we had him pick out a gift for the new baby he'd have thought it was HIS toy and then we WOULD have had issues.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 5:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My step-son went through a phase where he didn't want his brother to come. We made him a shirt as someone suggested. When the day came, instead of introducing the older one to the baby, we talked to the baby when he came in and said something like......here's the brother we were telling you about, isn't he cute, you're going to love him - that sort of thing. Rather than making it about the older one meeting the younger one it was about the newborn meeting his big brother.
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 6:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• wow the3jsandme.....what a great idea! when we get pregnant im going to use that one! im not pregnant yet but working on it! thanks for helping another person haha!
    woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2009