I don't let my dogs roam around, so why do some cat owners let their cats do it?!

We actually have leash laws where we live. And even if I could, I wouldn't let our dogs run free. It's not safe. So why do some cat owners think it's OK for their cats to go wherever they want? Even cats who have been declawed?! In the past 2 days alone, I've had to deal with neighborhood cats coming in our yard, hissing at me, at our dog & even fighting in our bushes. I'm sick of it. I put out bread for the birds, but am worried the damn cats will think that's the dinner bell for them.

Any non-lethal solutions to this problem?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 3, 2013 in Pets

• Panther, lion or coyote urine will keep the cats far away. You can buy the granules at your local feed store. :)
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 9:46 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• Some tips:

1. Cats always come back to the same place to poop. Sprinkle some chili pepper where they do it.

2. Put short lengths of hose in your plants. The idea is that cats take them for snakes and steer away.

3. Soda bottles. Large ones. Fill them 3/4 with water and place in your garden. The glinting of the sun on the water+plastic scares cats.

PS - your neigbour is crazy letting an unclawed cat outdoors. The poor animal can't defend itself and can't climb to get away. Not only that but the amputation it had makes it difficult for it to leap in an emergency ...

goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 10:56 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• We have about 6 cats that roam through our yard daily. I think they are after the chipmunks & birds I guess. The problem is that they are now pooping everywhere. I step in it too. I was cutting back some plants in the spring & didn't bother putting on gloves & grabbed a whole handful of cat crap in my hand & under my nails. I ran in & washed, scrubbed & used hand sanitizer. I think they are feral & really don't want to get some rare & exotic cat crap disease. Grrrrr....
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:08 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• it's effing annoying.
    I had a neighbor once who, when I swatted at her cat while it was defecating in my plants, went BSC yelling at me to leave her precious baby alone.
    If the damn animal is so precious and you don't want it hurt, keep it inside!
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• You can't really control a cat like you can a dog and none of my cat's have ever wanted to eat bread.

Just spray 'em with your hose and sprinkle cayenne pepper.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• Some cities (at least where I live) do have laws about outdoor cats so I would look into that.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• De-clawed cats outside your neighbor is nuts but other than that rant I agree cats should be indoors only less medical problems,sanitary etc etc. Some people never learn till it's too late though.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• Letting a cat with no claws run around outdoors is pretty much signing its execution order. How sad! My cat still has claws, but I don't let him roam the neighborhood because he could still eat something bad for him or get squashed by somebody's SUV.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• Cats can climb 10 foot fences...Dogs generally cannot.
    That said they do have motion activated devices such as sprinklers or ultrasonic devices that make your yard less appealing to the strays in your neighborhood.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• Well, I know one of the cats is our neighbor's. That's how I know it's declawed. I even said something the other day, b/c she almost tangled with our dog. Even tho my dog is old, if she gets a hold of their cat, it won't be good. The neighbor, (who I do like BTW), said something like, "well, I bet if that happens she'll stay out of your yard". Ugh- just keep the cat inside already!! Besides, I hate the smell of cat pee & don't want that around my house or bushes.
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Aug. 3, 2013