How often do your kids see their grandparents?

I live very close to my parents and they see my kids several times a week. They are 9 & 4. I love them but sometimes I don't want to be bothered. They are great and watch the kids any time I ask but sometimes it just annoys me thaat the kids want to be with them so much.
They are in their 60's and are great with the kids. I love the freedom and support it give me but it also irks me.

Granted I am lucky but has anyone else felt this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2013 in Relationships

• My mom is very involved w/ my family & spends time with us at least once a week, & more in the summer months. She is a God send & we can't imagine not having her around as much as she is. When I was growing up, I was very close to my grandparents too & have many fond memories b/c of them. Try to look at the positives from having such a close relationship. The way I see it, we are one of the lucky ones :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• Pretty much every day for my parents. Never for my ex's parents. I don't complain because I'd rather my kids have a super close, daily relationship with their grandparents than the nonexistent one they have with my ex's family.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:20 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• I have 2 grandkids I see almost everyday. We don't mind watching the kids when asked and are more than happy to help. What exactly bothers you?
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• tnm786 & OP- please don't take this as a lecture, b/c that's not my intention. It's just a friendly reminder that we only have a short time here on this Earth, & we should count our blessings. While there may be moments you feel frazzled & hounded, there will come a day when they are no longer here & you will long to hear their voices just one more time. Or miss the sound of their car pulling in your driveway. So maybe the next time they call at a bad time, try to think of it as when the kids are little & getting on your last nerve. They are only little once, so we make the best of it. Give them the same consideration. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• A few times/week. They only live a mile from my house and it's wonderful! My kids are 3, 4, 12, 13, and 15 - I love that they have such a close relationship with their grandparents. I think kids can really benefit from having that type of relationship with someone that much older.

Answer by missanc at 11:03 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• mrsmom you're absolutely right. when i was younger, i used to get really snippy with my mom, but as im getting older i know that our time together is limited and someday ill miss her calling me several times a day. so when my nerves are shot and she calls i try to keep as calm as possible :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• My inlaws are both deceased and my parents live 3000 miles away. We skype and talk on the phone often. My mom comes to visit at least 2x a year and my dad will come at least once.

They live around the corner from my sister and are very involved grandparents. I wish that I lived closer, but it's not possible.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 11:31 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• We are living with my Dad while Dh is deployed to save money so they see Grandpa every day, but Grandma lives 14 hours away so we only see her every couple of months, and they have never met their paternal grandpa and only seen their paternal grandma a handful of times
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:43 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• Not often enough. They are about 1,000 miles from us. My MIL is even farther than that. Hoping they will make it down for DD's birthday this year.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:49 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• I can understand how you feel, but understand also that to your parents this is an extension of what they lost with you, they are reliving your childhood that flied through with those children. I go see my newly acquired grand daughter daily, they too live very close, and sometimes, I feel like I am intruding, but I do not stay long and always call before.....you should be feel loved...there is no happy medium with this, you are either smothered or ignored, personally I will take smothered anytime....

Answer by older at 11:52 AM on Aug. 3, 2013