If a child's bone is set wrong will it fix itself?

My daughter fell off her friends scooter while camping with them and broke her wrist she had a cast for just over a week then she had a follow up appointment well the cast was really loose so they took it off and put a new one on then they noticed when they took it off the person that put it on didn't put the blue tape on the inside (protects the skin when they cut the cast) they did report it then the doctor also noticed her wrist was not set right so the bone started growing wrong so he tried the best he could to set it right she wore the cast for another 2 weeks (she just barely cracked the bone) she went and had it taken off. The dr said it was fixed, but the bone is still soft so they put her into a splint which she has to wear for a couple weeks. Thing is she still complains of it hurting, they told her some exercises to do to get to moving her wrist (she started it yesterday), but she complains of it hurting still and it cracks when she moves it. Plus the bone you can tell wasn't set right. The dr said that because she is still growing her bones are still growing so it will fix itself in 6 months he said he seen worse ones that fixed themselves. Is this true or should I get a second opinion? This is also the hand she writes with (her left). Everyone is telling me I should get a second opinion. What will they do to fix it if it doesn't heal?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 3, 2013 in Kids' Health

• You guys are missing that the OP said that the bone was just barely cracked. Meaning more than likely a green stick fracture. So it's going to be fine. What the op is probably seeing is swelling of the tissue surrounding the break itself, which will decrease over tiem as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• from what i know if a bone is set incorrectly it will not "fix" itself.
    sorry, laughing and shaking my head at the same time
    i may be wrong but "I" would talk to another doc- orthopedist
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:52 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• How old is your DD??? Bones are still pretty soft (green) when they are young so there is some amount of "self correction". But she still may have to get surgery later on. They will let it grow a bit to see what happens. But... to be on the safe side get a second opinion. Make sure she see's a pediatric ortho... go to a children s hospital if possible!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• That doc sounds like a quack
    Was this an orthopedist?
    She may end up needing surgery

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• get a second opinion
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• I'd get a second opinion. As far as I know, if the bone is not set correctly, it will heal wrong and aside from breaking it again or doing surgery, it won't self-correct.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• My husbands arm was set wrong, they had to re break it and set it again.

Answer by missanc at 11:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• yes it was a orthopedist at childrens hospital
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• I am sorry my dd is 8 years old
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2013

• X-rays of healthy wrist bones varied by ages. Notice in the 8 year old how very few of the bones touch. The epiphyseal plates have not finished growing and connected to the long bones yet either. Kids are resilient and bones grow straight so as long as it was set then YES, it will correct itself over time as the bones grow. 

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2013