Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it abuse?

I live in Florida, and my son's father lives in Ohio, so he gets him for 8 weeks of summer break. His dad is re-married and his step son has ADHD and is a bit unstable. From the beginning we all agreed that this step son would never be responsible for watching my son. Well, for a full week, this 17 year old ADHD boy was babysitting my 6 year old son. My son tells me that this boy spanked him, and he has bruises on his butt! He also told me that he locked him in a bedroom and wouldn't let him out. Of course, I will not be sending my son back there, but in the mean time should I report this? right now my son is safe with my parents, and I will be back in Ohio next week to pick him up. I just don't know what to do! I don't want him to take me to court and be forced to take my child there when I know he is not safe!

Answer Question

Asked by floridamomma77 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2013 in Relationships

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • Didn't you post something similar to this awhile back? I seem to remember the same question....

    Answer by m-avi at 1:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

  • If you want to legally keep him from getting your son again you will have to go to court. Have your parents document the bruising and let the court know you want to modify custody.

    ADHD didn't make this kid do the things he did, that was purely him being an asshole and his parents blaming his bad behavior on ADHD.

    Answer by kmath at 1:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

  • Get a lawyer, get the visitation modified, and document everything.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

  • Is the kid still there? Did you see the bruises? Did you take pictures? What did the father say when he found out your son was spanked hard enough to leave marks?

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

  • I'm guessing your parents got your son from your ex's home? Did they call the police?

    Answer by Ballad at 3:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

  • Do not blame this on ADHD. That's insulting to kids like mine, who have ADHD and would NEVER dream of behaving in this way. This is that boy being a total asshole, and has nothing to do with ADHD.

    If you don't want allow your child back there, then you have to go to court. You cannot keep your child away, no matter how dangerous it is for him, without the court's say so. Unless you could prove that your son was in imminent danger of being murdered, which you can't for this, you have to go to court, show what happened and get a judge to change the order. It may not be what you WANT to do, but it's what you NEED to do.

    I would have your parents take pictures, and frankly, I'd have them call the cops and see if they can file a report (since you're not there at the moment) against the boy.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 3:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

  • haven't read other responses- but yes, you have to report it. god forbid anything every happens again, you need to have this on record otherwise it's pure hearsay. sorry to hear and good luck. definitely document it every way you can though.

    Answer by lexi8622 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

  • I agree with everyone else. ADHD is not the cause here. My husband and son have ADHD and never act anything like that! You should have reported it right away.

    Answer by Lobelia at 5:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

  • : (
    Good luck with this.

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

  • I would fil a report or have you parents, there in Ohio.
    Be sure they take pictures of the bruises. The child needs to tell his story to a police officer while it is fresh in his mind.

    Answer by Dardenella at 6:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.