• In the Spotlight:

What are your thoughts on this

http://cbs2.com/national/Philip.Morris.damages.2.938136.html

I personally think it ridiculous, I mean we all know that if you smoke you can die from it right? So how can someone whos husband smoked then ended up dying of lung cancer sue for damages? What is it that I am missing here?

hautemama83

Asked by hautemama83 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 2 (-14 Credits)
  • Personal responsibility counts for nil in this country anymore. Why accept responsibility when you can blame or sue somebody else? It's a joke.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• You're not missing anything - the court system (lawyers who will prosecute such cases, and judges who will agree to try it instead of throwing it out of court) makes no sense.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Don'cha just love trial lawyers?
    Anonymous

• I don't get it either! Warnings about what cancer sticks can do to you have been on the packages for over 40 years! You can't claim ignorance forever!!! This is a pretty poignant list of countries around the world and their ciggie package warnings--some are pretty blunt/graphic--and rightfully so!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_packaging_warning_messages

http://www.smoke-free.ca/warnings/countries%20and%20laws.htm

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• actually most of the people that are of the age they are talking about, didn't know when they started. And up until the last 10-15 years it wasn't advertised as to just HOW bad it could be. This is why they had a case.. anyone that is under a certain age.. would not be elegable for any money though. I don't think they should get that much money.. but that's the type of world we live in.. if they don't advertise the negatives and you later end up dying from it when they found out it was bad.. you have legal rights to sue. Although so does a robber that comes into your house and gets himself shot because you are trying to protect your home.. so yeah.. it's just that type of world.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks this is just stupid, if you are going to smoke you obviously know the risks, heck I do
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Its the blood sucking ambulance chasers at work.

Answer by gemgem at 5:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If someone chooses to smoke and gets cancer from it they only have themselves to blame. Smoking is a choice. The past 30-40 years we have known this. Typical entitled people.
    Anonymous