Story from the Stir... Mom sets 5 year old on fire using gasoline as a lice remedy

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/159135/moms_attempt_to_kill_5yearolds?utm_medium=sm&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=fanpage

^ for some reason links aren't clicky even when i use full editor.

anyway, the writer of the story on The Stir is clearly on the mom's side. she thinks child abuse is too harsh a punishment for this.

in a nutshell: mom pours gasoline on 5 year old's head, and a nearby space heater catches both the child and the mom on fire.------> before going to the ER they drop off 4 other kids. <----THAT is the shady part to me

while it appears to have been a really stupid accident, it doesn't add up why they didn't go STRAIGHT to the ER or call 911.

so what say you... should the mom be charged with negligence or child abuse? the child is in the custody of CPS now as well... do you agree with this?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• clicky

aaaand i'm going to take a nap so i apologize for the hit and run post. be back later!

tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• the cheesecake brownies have put me in a sugar coma ;)
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• Yeah, I read that and clicked out so I didn't offend the cafemom "powers that be" by insulting one of their bloggers. In short, stupid of that magnitude SHOULD be a crime and I'm glad the child was taken by CPS and is now in hands of RESPONSIBLE adults.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• The STUPIDITY of people never ceases to amaze me...

yes- she should be charged with something
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• At the very least, she should be charged with negligent endangerment of a child. I really try not to judge people, but someone that stupid and careless should get a philodendron or a Chia pet instead of having more kids.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• She compared pouring gasoline (a toxin) on the child's head to rubbing bourbon ( an edible) on a child's gums?

besides a sarcasm font, we need an indignation font
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• Who's first thought is that gasoline would be a good idea? The same person that douches with ammonia?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• The same person that douches with ammonia?
    jeanclaudia Answer by jeanclaudia 6 minutes ago

^^^^LOL! OMG- you almost owed me a new computer for nearly spitting my water all over it! LOL! :p That & I felt the need to cross my legs at the same time! :p
    As for the dumb mom who thought that would work- I have heard of using mayo, but not diesel to get rid of lice- geez- hope the poor kid will be OK. Not sure what to charge her with, but if being stupid was a crime, the jails would be even fuller than they are already!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• how did the child catch fire? did she light a cig or were they near the stove yes she should be charged with something what an idiot poor kid
    eriv1955

Answer by eriv1955 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• I read this story, and I haven't been able to post, I can't imagine what she was thinking, and I think not only should she be charged she should go to jail for a very long time.
    I have a dear friend who married into the Amish, her son caught fire from dropping a kerosene lamp, he was burned over 50% of his body, and lost almost his entire face.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2013