Are you careful with your personal information?

For example, if you wanted to troll CM, so you wrote a question linked to your own blog or website to stir some drama, would you have the foresight to disable the option to link the blog to your facebook, twitter, or g+ acct, which then reveals everything from where you live and went to school, to your full name and pictures of you and your children?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2013 in About CafeMom

• All I have is this, pinterest, my facebook page and I don't link anything to anything. My pinterest is under my real name but nothing I have reveals the name of my city, apartment complex, job or my kids schools. My facebook is set to private and I check my settings every other month or so to make sure nothing has changed that needs adjusted.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• I used to share and link everything, so there are probably links all over CM, but I have since started to be more careful about what I make public. There are a few services external to FB that are still linked, but I think I un-linked most of them. I have everything as private as I can have it, though, as far as I'm aware. I know some of you have better detective skills than others do ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• Were I to do something that immature I would hope I'd have given at least some thought to limiting the number of people who could track me.

". I know some of you have better detective skills than others do ;)"

^^That's why.

Of course, no one over the age of, say 15, would do that anyway, would they?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• I know some of you have better detective skills than others do ;)

That was part of why I asked. It's one thing if you have to put effort into tracking something down, it's quite another if someone leaves a link to their profile right on the page. All that info is a click away with no effort at all. It is something people seem to be reminded of, because if some random regular member can click on a link and find everything from what their kids look like to where they live and what kind of schedule they keep, so can anyone with far less savory intentions, trolling sites like this for victims.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• " All that info is a click away with no effort at all. It is something people seem to be reminded of,"

Indeed. Of course, they'll see it as you being mean, or stalking them, instead of trying to do them a favor ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• I try to be
    but I know an ingenious person would be able to figure out who I am...
    Definitely do not link my FB to anything- at all- ever.
    Even the stuff I do on FB is set "For Me Only" so even my friends dont know too much
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• To be honest, I have no idea how easy it would be to track me down. I have my real name on my Pinterest and Facebook accounts. I am not good at detective stuff, so I don't know how easy it would be to find me from that. I used to be in groups on MSN back in the day, and I posted about my kids and added pictures, but those were private groups. Looking back now, I wouldn't post their pictures these days. I don't put pictures of my kids on Cafemom.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• And that's exactly the point. ^^ It's a silly, stupid mistake that puts your family at risk.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• There may be a couple older sites that are traceable but not enough to give out significant personal information. And I don't link my sites to each other.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• I must not be, my kids figured out my apple id, and rented over $50 bucks worth of music, and movies, LOL!
    Can someone post the link to the blog again?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2013