do kid with adhd grow out of it???

do kids with ADHD grow out of it???

Maria J.

Asked by Maria J. at 9:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2013 in Special Needs

• Sometimes. But there definitely are adults with attention deficit disorder.

But even adults can "grow out of it." (That terminology isn't really accurate in representing what actually happens, though.)

Some people equate it (appearing to have "outgrown" it) with managing the accompanying issues & tendencies well, as in compensating for it. So they make a distinction that it's not REALLY "outgrown" or gone, but rather the individual is coping well. But neuroplasticity for humans is proven through the lifespan and given the right (necessary) conditions, you CAN "rewire" your brain. So actual change can happen, not just "working around" issues.
    "The right conditions" is the key, though.

So it becomes more a question of "what's the likelihood?" And what conditions encourage neurological change?
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• I was gonna add my reply but girlwithC pretty much summed up what I was gonna write :)

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• sometimes it can become less of an issue with puberty

sometimes, some kids
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• It's a slight possibility, but I wouldn't figure it into your plans for helping a child deal with the disorder.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2013

• Both my husband and 6 year old son have ADHD. I love them to death but sometimes.....they just really drive me crazy!
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 1:56 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Like girlwithc said, it's not so much that they grow out of it as that they can learn to cope so well that it seems as though they've outgrown it. It can also change over time. Both of my boys have ADHD, combined type so they have the hyperactivity and inattention. My oldest, though, is now 12 and his hyperness has begun to become less and less. He still has his moments, but not nearly as much as my 9 yr old, or even as much as he himself used to have.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:02 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Not really. They just learn to adapt with it by the time they are adults.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:16 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• No is the simple answer. Once you truly have ADHD you have it. Now some learn to cope with it better as they get older and can go off meds, but it does NOT mean they no longer have it. I also feel there are ALOT of children who are diagnosed at young ages that do not really have ADHD but other things going on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Sometimes- but I can tell you my son did not. It's very frustrating! GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• My brother has not, but he copes well enough.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 5, 2013