I want to start joggin/running, any advice on how to start off?

I am a total rookie when it comes to running. I can barely do 5-10 minutes jogging at a 5-6 on the treadmill (at least that is what I did today). I heard intervals are the way to go, but not sure how to get started. Any joggers/runners want to shoot me some advice?

Also, I don't do well on treadmills (I fall off them) and I prefer land but have access to a treadmill if needed to build endurance.

I will also be using a jogging stroller lugging my 2 little muchkins around.. so that might make a difference when I am not at the gym.
Thanks!

deputywife

Asked by deputywife at 5:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Start out slow and work your way up. Do a little at a time and increase how fast and how long your run gradually. Bring a CD player or an iPod. Studies show that people who listen to music while exercising get more out of a workout. You can also begin your exercise by bouncing on an aerobic trampoline. 5 minutes of bouncing is equivalent to 15 minutes of jogging. Always stretch and warm up before a run. Drink lots of water and stay hydrated (don't gulp or you'll get cramps). Always wear new and sturdy running shoes to minimize the impact on your joints. While weighted shoes or ankle weights will expedite your weight loss and toning, they also do damage on your bones and joints in the long run so I don't recommend using them. Good luck!

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Just go outside and run. Run 5 minutes, stop, walk and then run again. My dad always said you push yourself and tell yourself whenit hurts thats what you want because he means youre accomplishing something. Run past the pain and then before you know it youll be going far.
    Anonymous

• Pain is an indicator that something is wrong. Experiencing pain during exercise is a big reason why people who try exercise stop, never to try it again. While exercise isn't always easy, forcing yourself to work out while in pain does nothing for you. It is better to gradually work yourself up to a good level than to throw yourself into an intense level, be absolutely sore for a month and hate it. This isn't a professional sport we're talking about here, it is exercise to maintain and everyday healthy lifestyle.  There is a such thing as over-doing it.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Make sure you have a good pair of sneakers. Start off walking, the keep going up until you can handle jogging.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Totally start off slow! I am NOT into pain myself, so I would recommend starting off with a brisk walk, (about 30 mins a day) and build up to a longer - more intense workout gradually.  Good luck!

Bijou

huskynomore.tsfl.com

Bijou.I

Answer by Bijou.I at 9:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Morning! Check out the following website (coolrunning) - it talks about the Couch to 5K program - It's a step-by-step program.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 7:54 AM on Feb. 19, 2009