Catholics??

I have been a Catholic for about 3 years. I am in the process of saving up to leave my husband. I know Catholics don't believe in divorce. Can my family and I still go as long as I don't remarry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Aug. 4, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I thought you could divorce under certain circumstances. But yes, go. You will still have to go to court if he files for custody of the kids. He still has rights as a father. I'm assuming your family includes children.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:05 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Do you mean still attend your church? You should make an appt. with your priest to ask him for guidance thru all this. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:07 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Yes, we have three kids. I know we will go to court. Just wondering about the whole church thing.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:08 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• I think you have to get an annulment before you can marry again. I agree talk to your priest first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Short answer yes if you divorce and live a chaste life you can still receive the sacraments. If not you can still go to church just not receive. There is one question that needs to be answered before answering anything else. Was it a civil ceremony?
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Sorry, daps I am a little confused. What exactly do you mean by a civil ceremony?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Not in a church.
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:58 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• We were remarried into the Catholic Church after we went through RCIA.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• OK that's a little different. An annulment is something your are going to have to talk to your priest about. There are a few things that do fall under annulment. Abuse, infidelity, and one or both lied or didn't intend to fulfill the marriage vows. Because these are so broad each case has to be looked at individually. Now for some happy thoughts. We have quite a few in our Church that don't for whatever reason ( we don't ask why ) That can't or don't receive. They are active members help out in different capacities. Their children still go to RE still recieve the sacrements at the time they are to. They are not shunned. We also have civilly divorced chaste people. One is our best friend he has been chaste for well over 13 years. As he puts it his children are more important then him looking for a mate. Even though he could very easily get an annulment. He is the happiest and most fulfilled person I know.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:15 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• I know most people getting divorced say this. i don't see myself getting married again though. If and when I do my kids will be grown and on there own by then. I just don't want the church life to be another thing messed up during our divorce. As long as they could still go and participate and receive communion I am fine with that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2013