Do we need to put our dog down for biting?

My 7 yr old, 13 lb poodle mix bit my daughter, requiring 2 stitches. She had cornered him and was threatening to hit him with a water bottle. My 17 year old warned her to stop, as the dog gives plenty of traditional "leave me alone" warnings, and was growling. My 9 yr old persisted, and my eldest said, "well, then bite her!" The dog wasn't taught that command but he bit.

This shouldn't be and issue, in my opinion there was fair warning given, and she was being willfully disrespectful. But the fact is it's the fourth incident in the 7 years we've had him. He nipped at her before when she was literally sitting on him and wouldn't get off when told, again plenty of warning was given. He bit my brother in law who was pulling at his ears. (My son claims he was trying to pick him up by the ears.) He bit another brother in law when we were out of town- he tried to grab him out of his crate when he wouldn't come. What do we do?

mommahgr

Asked by mommahgr at 9:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2013 in Pets

• The real problem is my husbands whole family is up in arms and demanding I put this dangerous animal down

^^^ Would that be the 2 moronic BIL's who were bitten by the dog b/c THEY were mistreating it?! Yeah, sounds like a bunch of winners to me. Don't listen to them- they're a**holes. But do find the dog a good, loving, stress-free, abuse-free home.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• You train your children to quit abusing animals. Then you find a home for this poor dog that has been kicked, sat on, had his ears pulled, cornered, and otherwise had a horrible life because you won't protect him.

This post really really upsets me.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:56 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Either train your family or get rid of the dog.....irresponsible pet owners should not have pets. That includes pet owners that refuse to train their pets, and those that refuse to train their children on how to interact with their pets.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• How about teaching your family to respect animals? None of those instances were the dog's fault.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Omg omg! Please find a better home for that poor dog and do not ever ever ever have another pet.

I hate irresponsible pet owners like you and your awful family. Wtf is wrong with you?
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 10:02 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• If the dog is giving warning and all four times he was cornered is it the dogs fault? I would put him with another family who does not have younger children. If the dog was biting willfully and out of spite I could see it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:28 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• oh my god.

my 3 year old had a habit of kicking our dog, with enough discipline she learned to stop and to treat the dog with kindness, now they are BFF's. SHE IS THREE. your daughter is 9, she sure as hell should know better.

please find a loving home for your pet. i will stop there before i say something i'll regret.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• How sad for that dog. Be responsible and find it another home.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:11 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• *sigh
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:11 AM on Aug. 4, 2013