Trying to think of things I can do to help. Any suggestions?

My older sister was just recently (actually the same day I posted about my little sister being pregnant) diagnosed with cervical cancer. She hasn't started treatment yet; all the details haven't been hammered out yet, but we know she's going to have radiation, chemo, and a hysterectomy. Anyways, I know how debilitating chemo and radiation can be, and I'm trying to think of ways to help. She's a SAHM of 3 boys (10, 8, 6), and her Dh works 3rd shift. I was thinking about cooking some casseroles, etc. and freezing them. I live 2 hrs away or else I'd be over there everyday. Any other ideas?

mommy_jules

Asked by mommy_jules at 11:09 AM on Aug. 4, 2013 in Health

• You've gotten really good suggestions here. I, too, had cervical cancer with the treatment your sister will be given. You probably know about the debilitating fatigue and general malaise so I really agree with making some meals, helping with the kids to give her plenty of time to rest. Meal time was always such a struggle for me because sometimes even walking to the fridge was too much, not to mention actually cooking.

If she has a Kindle, maybe a few books for her to read or a e-news subscription. Something for her to do while she's resting.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• If you can afford it, a mommy's helper? for when she gets home?

When my mom had the same issue she was in hospital for 3 days with, her words, a radioactive dildo...
    It caused some scarring making intercourse difficult. She had to be introduced to lubricants. Has doc talked to her about this topic?
    My mom's didn't. It put a slight strain on the relationship when she was ready to resume and Dad couldn't stand to see her in pain
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:21 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• I'd offer to take the boys for a long weekend right before she starts treatment so she can have some alone quality time with husband

during that time the kids could help you bake and cook..... more important than meals might be cookies, granola bars, trail mix, muffins, etc easy self serve breakfasts and snacks for the boys

also consider a massive freeze of strawberry pancakes or cinnamon french toast, her oldest can microwave them and bring her breakfast in bed, feed his brothers, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:32 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• there is probably someone (patient advocate- NOT social services) who can help her get in touch with a cervical cancer support group.

they should be able to talk to her about the real life side effects, not just the, oh- youre going to be weak, you will have to lay still during treatment type of things
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:47 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Offer to take the kids on here bad weeks. Go over when you can and clean her house. Do laundry.

Answer by louise2 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• She would not have any energy so the small things matter, like when you shop do hers also, keep thinks she needs near by , maybe a little entertainment to get her mind off of things,

by2013

Answer by by2013 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• If it wouldn't be an invasion of her privacy, offer to pay her bills and balance her checkbook online, order groceries to be delivered, things like that you can do from a distance. Your sister will be in my prayers.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Why don't you offer to take her kids for a weekend and let her get some rest? You can also remind her that if she needs anything to call you. You can also bake a cake or two and cut them up in slices and freeze them. She can pull out pieces and thaw them out as needed. My sister did this with my mother and she had dementia. She would pull out a couple of pieces at a time and within a couple of hours it would be thawed out. It easier than thawing out a whole cake. You can also make soup and freeze it. Brunswick stew is a good one to do. Eliminate pasta and potatoes because they can get mushy when thawed out from the freezer. It is simple to cook some macaroni and add it in for thickness.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:45 AM on Aug. 5, 2013

• A mommy helper? We probably won't able to afford that. We live on a teacher salary, but my younger sister lives closer to her, and I'm sure she's gonna be helping out a lot too.

As far as I know, her doctor hasn't talked about any of the possible side effects. She was asking me about them Friday. (I had chemo and radiation when I was 15). I think they (the doctors) are still working out a treatment plan. They are supposed to call Tuesday with an appointment for more ct scans and bloodwork.
    mommy_jules

Comment by mommy_jules (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Thanks ladies. Y'all gave me a few more ideas.
    mommy_jules

Comment by mommy_jules (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2013