Would you allow your kids....

to visit a close relative in the hospital receiving blood transfusion? my kids are 7 and 8 and we planned on spending lunch (picnic style) and some of the afternoon visiting my mom but she's getting 3 units today which take 90 mins or so each, according to the nurse. I realize the bag itself is very, very small but I wonder if it would totally freak them out. grandma herself is not overly scary right now. in a chair not a bed and on a normal diet. they're both extremely sensitive and emotional

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:23 AM on Aug. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• Personally, it wouldn't bother me in the least. Take the time to explain to them what is happening and how it is helping grandma. A lot of how children react in hospitals depends on how we ourselves behave. I also believe that what scares children most is what they don't understand.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 11:32 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Yes I would, but my kids are a bit older or wouldn't really understand the situation.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:32 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Yes. My kids were visiting me after having my 4th child (the older ones were 7, 9 and 11) while I was having 2 units.

Answer by missanc at 11:34 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• No merely because Hospitals are so infectious themselves & if your Mom is receiving blood then she is immune compromised & you don't know what your children can pass to her by just a sneeze or cough which could be detrimental to her life or death. My on & I just got over Parvovirus & I thought all was well. Two weeks later my Daughter (2) has it full blown. It can interfere with the production of red blood cells too. Neither go to day care, camp etc. So you never know.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:37 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• *Son
    ILovemyPaulie

• "No merely because Hospitals are so infectious themselves & if your Mom is receiving blood then she is immune compromised & you don't know what your children can pass to her by just a sneeze or cough which could be detrimental to her life or death."

That's a thought ... OP, have you checked that your children would even be admitted to see her? I have seen situations where children under 15 are not allowed to be around the patients ...
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 11:51 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Have you checked to see if it's allowed? The only place I've seen children allowed to visit in a hospital is the maternity ward.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• If your hospital allows it, I would.

Our hospitals discourage younger patients, but when FIL was on his final hospitalization 4 years ago, you bet my kids were there. We had to wear isolation gear but they needed to see him as much as he needed to see them. The only time I did not take him was when he was in his final hours.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Personally.... No. Just stepping in the hospital can allow for contacts with germs.. IMO if you don't have to go, don't.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• I would not want child visitors asking me questions while in the hospital getting transfusions. I agree that the spread of germs is a risk but mostly for your mom who will be immune compromised.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2013