Does anyone know if deli subs are eligible foodstamp items?

not the premade ones but the kind that they assemble right in front of you. i looked at the list online but it's a little confusing. it says no hot foods but a deli sub is cold cuts so im not sure.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Why not buy the fixings and make them cheaper yourself?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Yes anything cold from the deli in a grocery store can be bought with food stamps. If you are thinking subway or a restaurant then no.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• You should call the store and ask, though I agree with Dard, you'll spend a lot less money if you buy the ingredients and make your own, the markup on those is huge because you're paying for someone to make them, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• The deli meat can be bought with the Snap card but not subs that are already made.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• In this State and I assume every other state, anything cold in the deli is covered including subs made to order and chilled roasted chickens and even prepared sushi.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• even prepared sushi.

Deli sushi scares me. There's one store where I've been there WHILE the sushi chefs are there making it, but the others obviously order it in from somewhere else.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Pretty much if it's edible, it's eligible. Not necessarily a good choice economically, but sometimes I know there are extenuating circumstances. I got chewed out by a cashier once for bying a bakery cake with food stamps when I qualified for them, but what she didn't know was that I didn't have a working oven and the cake was for two neighbor kids whose parents had other priorities besides giving them a birthday party.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Rkoloms say no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Buy bread and lunchmeat.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Actually, if you just want one sandwich, it is cheaper to buy the premade ones, than to buy meat, bread, veggies, mayo, ect. I dont know about the ones they make for you, but the prewrapped, made ones are definetly fine.
    W13sgirl

Answer by W13sgirl at 3:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2013