Do you buy your kids lunch from school or pack one?

I was surprised to find out most parents at my childs new school buy breakfast and lunch daily instead of packing one.

2babyloves3

Asked by 2babyloves3 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• We have always packed lunches.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Both but we mostly buy. The kids are on the reduced lunch program and for the most part I could not pack the same quality and variety everyday that the school provides. We are lucky that our school lunch program is privately funded and offers a wonderful variety of healthier choices than many of our surrounding counties. We even have a 'Farm to School' program that provides locally grown fruits, veggies and herbs year round.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• They eat breakfast at home, and I make them lunch to take with them. I volunteer at their school, and have eaten lunch with them, and I will never make them eat the crap they serve them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• My son use to choose which days he would buy or pack. Starting in 3rd grade he no longer wanted to buy and has packed his lunch since than. We also always eat breakfast at home.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Most do. Yes.
    Back when I actually had children in school, we would look over the weekly menu and see if there was anything they really wanted. Otherwise, for the most part mine ate what I sent with them until they went into high school. (so uncool, mom)
    Way back in the day, our school had the program when a parent could put the money into the account for the child and then they would just come in and buy them as they chose. Each child had an id but the lunch room ladies knew every single kid in the school and which class they were in by about the second week of school. The teachers were with the their class as they went to get their food as well.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Our kids get a free breakfast, regardless of income. My child will buy lunch on certain days & pack the rest. It just depends on what they're having.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• I'm not sure yet. My daughter will be going to all-day kindergarten this fall. I'm hoping I can get a look at the menu before I decide if I want to buy or not. I'd like to buy if I can, since it would be convenient, but only if my daughter will be likely to eat what's offered. Otherwise, I might as well send stuff I know she'll eat.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Both
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• We homeschool now, but when my kids went to public school, for the most part, I packed their lunches. The last couple of years they were there they did buy, but that was because when school started the first year, I was on crutches from ankle surgery and found it easier to let them buy lunch than to try to make it. They liked it, so we kept doing it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• We pack a lunch every day. (Everyone at our school does. There's no school lunch to buy.) They do often cook at school (they'll bake bread or muffins, make soup, bake cookies, mac & cheese, pasta dishes, croissants, etc.) and everybody gets some of that if they want some. Not always with or at lunch, but sometimes (depending on what it is.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2013