Tug-of-war?

My five-year-old seems to have a tug-of-war going on inside her for the past few weeks. I'm thinking maybe it's because she'll be going off to big girl school this month. She says she's excited, but then sometimes she'll say she's worried that the other kids will be mean to her. So I've noticed this epic battle going on inside her, where one minute she wants to be grown up and let the neighbor girls do her hair and nails so they can have a dance party and the next second she's crawling in my lap and asking me to rock her and pat her back like a baby. She usually doesn't have a shy strand anywhere in her DNA, but then all of a sudden she'll be hiding behind me when the pizza delivery man comes to the door. She's insisted on using her toddler fork and knife and a straw cup at the table and having pizza cut up into bite-sized pieces, and sometimes she tries to whine and point at stuff the way she did when she was two or three. She even wanted me to put her traveling Cheerios container in my purse again, which she hasn't needed in ages.

Have any of you seen this with your little ones? I feel kind of bad for her. Is there anything I can do to help the big girl win out?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• DD has been going through something like this all summer. One minute playing dress up and wanting to go shopping at the mall and then she is clinging to me all the time wanting a hug or me to pick her up. I never considered school starting being the root. I just figured it was a normal developmental stage between toddler-hood and childhood. Being concerned about school and being 'forced' to grow up actually makes perfect sense. Maybe we have a big cuddle and talk tonight.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Fear of the unkown, that is all.

Answer by louise2 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• You and I have two peas in a pod. Some days we can't get through a whole meal or activity without my daughter stopping everything to get a hug or trying to climb in my lap. I don't know if it's anxiety about school or not, that was just my guess.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2013