are you familiar with the christian classic education method in homeschooling?

How can I choose a curriculum using the Classic Education Method?
My school age boys need reenforcement in their foundation of reading, however, they will be in 2 and 4th grade this year,should I go back and start teaching them 1 and 2 grade rules again?

Janasboys

Asked by Janasboys at 5:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ask in the Happy Homeschoolers group.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Speaking from experience as a former home schooler of three boys, reenforcing is all part of education building onto a solid foundation(also former sub-teacher)or maybe you should re-think home schooling, it should be fun learning for all of you. We found a wonderful prep school and it works for us.
    Mikki707

Answer by Mikki707 at 6:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• "alpha omega" is a home school curriculum that is fairly basic, more like what they teach the kids in public school. "A Beka" is much more advanced and harder. There are more I'm sure but those are the only two i really know anything about.

teachergraduategood luck

babymomma0306

Answer by babymomma0306 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My friend runs a preschool/private school at her church that uses a christian classic education method and they use A Beka for their curriculum.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I unschool. Just teach your kids what they need to know without worrying about what 'level' they should be and what 'level' they are being taught. and kids often need lots of repetition and reinforcements. if they need the a review of basics, then review basics. doesn't matter of it is '2 grade levels below'
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I applaude you for accepting the task of educating your kids! It's not an easy thing to take on, in fact its very difficult at times. I use a variety of curriculum for my boys. I have one in 1st and one in 6th. I use bob jones for the 1st grader, all except math. We use math-u-see for that for both boys, it is an awesome math program, because its all hands on and repetitious but not annoying. Bob Jones has awesome Bible curriculum and also grammer and reading. I've used other curriculum on and off, but those are the ones I adore. We do a lot of lap books which are based off of unit studies and the kids love them. Anyway, hope that helps!
    mama24kidz

Answer by mama24kidz at 10:30 AM on Feb. 20, 2009