Not been here in forever but it is now official DS has Autism.

They were calling it developmentally delayed up until Friday. Now they say it is PDD-NOS and he is for sure on the spectrum. It make me ad even though I expected it. I knew when we decided to keep the baby it was going to be hard but I was not expecting to have a special needs child. He is now almost 3 and just starting to eat table food and he has only been walking for about 6 months. He has yet to say his first words. It just breaks my heart. I am starting to wonder if we made the wrong choice by keeping him. We looked into open adoption and I wonder if that would have been better. I am not sure I can do this. I mean, my mom and my bf's mom help us and we still live with bf mom but if still feels like it is all on me. bf says it will get better but he is not home all day with him. He works all day every day. I work 2 days a week because he require so much attention and therapy. I feel like I am always at therapy or work. I feel like I made the wrong choice for me and for my child. Does it get better?

ClaireWithChild

Asked by ClaireWithChild at 8:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• My heart breaks reading this!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Give yourself a little time to digest this information. Parents do this every day and so I have confidence that you can, as well.

We now have a Special Needs category. Why not post this there too and wait for the responses? Those moms are amazing and have a wealth of information for you. I feel certain that others will also bump this to make sure it stays on the front page longer.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• It gets so much better! I know that doesn't help right now and I remember the days of screaming, tantrums and exhaustion, but I had 2 younger ones already when my oldest was diagnosed at 3. Get in contact with your local autism society if you haven't already, support groups help. Is your son not in preschool? I thought most states started preschool for special needs at age 3? My son started full day after the diagnosis.
    My oldest is now 15 and the most compliant of all 5 of my kids. He is wonderful, easy going and easy to please - but it was a rough road getting there!

Answer by missanc at 9:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2013

• In groups there is also a general special needs group and a few that focus on Autism. Remember your son is still your son,there will be good and bad days. If he is not verbal try using pictures or American Sign Language to get him to communicate. Also let him make choices where possible,the red shirt or blue,pancakes or eggs for breakfast.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 12:04 AM on Aug. 5, 2013

• It gets better. I have three boys on the spectrum. At age three he may even qualify to start school this year should you decide to do that. ((Hugs)))
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• That is a horrid thing to say about your child he's your flesh and blood and you should love him no matter what
    Abbie92

Answer by Abbie92 at 7:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2013