How early can you hear a fetal heartbeat?

I am currently in my 4th pregnancy. I have had 1 successful birth, 2 miscarriages, and I am currently awaiting the news of how this pregnancy will go. Earlier this year my Dr told me that a successful pregnancy was unlikely but my new Dr is telling me he thinks that is crap.
We always get to 8 weeks and then there is no heartbeat. I am nervous because we are going on Friday 8/9 for my ultrasound at 7 weeks 0 days and am wondering if they will look for the heartbeat. Can they detect or hear it that early? My Dr also has me as a high risk...what does that mean?

aheard11.16.12

Asked by aheard11.16.12 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 5, 2013 in Pregnancy

• They were able to find my DD's heart beat at 7 weeks. High risk means they will monitor you and you baby's development very closely. I may mean more frequent check ups and/or ultrasounds.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2013

• My sister just had her first appt. She was 6 wks and 2 days along, and they found the baby's heartbeat.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:47 AM on Aug. 5, 2013

• I had in internal ultrasound at 5 weeks & we heard & saw the heartbeat! Don't listen to that Dr. That's what one said to me & I had a surprise baby at 44! :) GL !
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• 5 weeks
    tigger3itch

Answer by tigger3itch at 1:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Has your doctor mentioned progesterone supplementation? I've been pregnant five times, lost four babies to miscarriage and given birth successfully once. If I get pregnant again, the doctor wants me to start supplementing with progesterone as soon as I have a positive test. He thinks low progesterone was the problem in the lost pregnancies. Some women can stop supplementing at ten or twelve weeks when the placenta kicks in and starts making its own progesterone, but some have to continue all the way to term. It might be worth asking your doctor, though I don't know your history. Oh, and don't believe that other doctor who said you can't get pregnant--my little girl is living proof that doctors can be dead wrong. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• had my first scan at 6 weeks, 2 days, and they found heartbeat- it was faint and they were concerned,but
    i went back in one week, and it was strong
    at 7 weeks- yes, they will hear a heartbeat

good luck
    crossing fingers that this one is successful
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Hear it at 9-10 weeks. Sometimes 11 weeks if you're on the heavy side. See it via a transvaginal ultrasound between5-6 weeks. High risk means you have had complications in the past or for some other reason currently have certain risk factors. Get your progesterone levels checked. So easy to supplement it if your body doesn't make enough on it's own to sustain a pregnancy.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Thank you all for your kindness! I went in this morning saw the baby and HEARD the heartbeat. 129 BPM and measuring 6 weeks 5 days <3 I will be going again in 2 weeks.

Thanks again guys!
    aheard11.16.12

Comment by aheard11.16.12 (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• 6 wks
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 7:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2014