Too young or even worth it? Eating problems.

My 2 year old refuses to eat dinner. Ever. She might take one teeny tiny bite on rare occasions but that's it.

She doesn't get snacks after 230 pm and we usually eat around 5/530. I've already tried just letting her go hungry but it's not working. I refuse to make her something else she will eat any more because her diet isn't varied enough as it is. I can't even remember the last time I got a piece of meat in her.

My husband thinks I should save her dinner and give it to her in the morning for breakfast. I have heard of people doing that for their older kids but I think it would just be lost on a 2 yr old.

So what do you think? Any other ideas on getting her to eat dinner? Thanks.

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 5:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I still put all the yummy healthy stuff on his plate every night, and I don't ever make him anything other than what we eat. It's his choice to eat or not. He's coming around to a lot more things now that he would never eat before. Little tricks like calling broccoli "trees" and such help. Also found melting a little cheddar or putting some honey on his veggies works well too. Good luck!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 6:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Personally....I went through hell and back with my son who is now nearing 5. He's still a picky eater...my advice....let it go. My ped says he's not going to starve himself and arguing the point now will just cause more trouble down the road. I gave up and it's made all of our lives much better.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 5:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Yeah, I give up every night. *sigh* I just want her to have better eating habits then I had. I try so hard now to eat healthy, yummy meals I just wish she'd even take a bite.

Thanks :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 5:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Thanks! I found myself calling her peas (which she loves) little bouncy balls, but all she wanted to do was feed them to me.... Oh well. Never thought about honey, I'll have to try that :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I read something in a Cookie magazine recently called "The Picky Eaters Toolbox". I'll show you soon, I have the mag!
    badpenny74

Answer by badpenny74 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Thanks Alli! Tonight's meal was super yummy too. We had raspberry and hazelnut encrusted pork chops, steamed peas and wild rice! Of course I covered mine in BBQ sauce cause I'm a freak like that but hey, one step at a time lol.

Even hubby ate it and he's the world pickiest eater.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 7:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Is she really hungry in the morning and beginning of the day? Landon and Jacob never want to eat much for dinner but always want like 5 things for breakfast! I just feed them when they are hungry and try to keep it healthy and always make them a plate for dinner and try to get them to eat some! I would have to say for the last year Landon eats dinner like 2 nights a week! he also wouldnt eat ANY meat unless it was a chicken nugget.
    sweetkrisi

Answer by sweetkrisi at 8:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Yeah, she'll eat like a pig the next morning. She used to eat chicken nuggets but now she just nibbles the breading off :p
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2009