Where can I get help with School clothes and supplies?

I need school clothes for a third grade boy in size 8-10 and a second grade girl size 8-10. We have had alot going on this summer that makes it difficult to afford the stuff, my mother-in-law passed away and my mother ended up in a nursing home so we are really short on money.

momof3-84

Asked by momof3-84 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2013 in Shopping

• For School Supply help, go to the Schools website & there should be a number to call for assistance. For clothes, thrift stores have great kids clothes. Who helped you last school year for the kids? Maybe your local Church too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• For supplies, call your school. Someone there will probably know of local fill-a-backpack programs. Almost every city in my area has them. Some are church-sponstored, others are run by corporations like Wal-Mart or the power company. For clothes, your best bet will be secondhand stores or your local churches.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Your local United Way office should have a list of resources in your area.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• I second thrift stores for clothes. Especially for kids when they grow like weeds and play in mud.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 3:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• We shopped thrift stores and Wal mart mostly, maybe try Ross too

dollar store is good for some supplies
    *although some can be found cheaper other places

maybe check churches? or call the school
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• My salvation Army does some kind of back to school thing, you have to sign up for. I've never done it, so I don't exactly what it is or how it works.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 4:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Credit card, church, good will

Answer by louise2 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Call local churches and dial 211 to get information on who can help but understand it is very late in the 'season' to be asking. There may not be any more available. If you can't find help with the school supplies remember you don't have to send it all in at once. Get what you can when you can. As far as clothes go, unless your school uses uniforms I am sure what they have is good enough for the first few weeks of school while you get things together or look for options as far as help with that goes.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• I want to add now so as to help you out later- The salvation army starts taking names of who will need Thanksgiving and Christmas assistance around October. Please make a note on your calender to call and check on that so you do not end up in a similar situation during the holidays.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Thrift stores.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2013