What makes a professional?

There are a lot of people who write pay by the click articles and call themselves "writer" or "author", and there are a lot of people who buy a SLR camera, take pictures at a friend's wedding, and call themselves a "photographer". Is saying you are something enough to actually make it true, or is it an insult to those who actually put an effort into it and do real work on their craft?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2013 in Money & Work

• Well everyone knows if you write a blog, you are a professional author. Fuck, let's just go ahead and call it journalism, because blogging about mommy forums and then deleting it and then returning to stalk members is DEFINITELY the work of a classy professional.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 3:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Usually a 'professional' is someone who gets paid to do what they do. Now being a credible professional is different. Or even a 'good' one.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 3:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Damn, don't sugar coat it. I'm also fond of the ones who fill pinterest with their "inspiration wedding shots" and then 3 of their own that are overexposed, cropped poorly and out of focus.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• careful, everytime we mention her stupidity she mistakes it for caring, thus enlarging her ego. i don't want her head to explode or anything.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• as far as professionalism, i think everyone has to start somewhere. i'm not sure when the amount of blogs, articles, books, photographs, canvases, etc is acceptable to call oneself a professional though. it's certainly not after just one though... lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• oh and one more thing... it also has a lot to do with the way the individual carries themselves and handles criticism.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• To me, professionalism does have a lot to do with presentation (as tnm states). But it also is dependent upon experience, education and/or a combination of the two.

I've met people who are very good at what they do fairly early in their career and expand on that successfully. I've met people doing the same thing they've done for 20 years, with a bunch of letters after their name, and I wonder how they dress themselves in the morning.

What I've rarely met is someone who "dabbles" in something as a whim and is immediately successful at it. Outside their own mind, that is.

/I typed this totally on my phone which is little. Just sayin!
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• /I typed this totally on my phone which is little. Just sayin!

Then I would call you an accomplished texter :p

That's what I wonder though. I write for blogs and articles, I do design and edit work for websites, and slowly I'm doing more video that's actually got a paycheck attached to it. However, I would never present myself as an "author" or "web designer" or "videographer". My work has only shown in 4 exhibitions, outside the typical end of semester everyone show their work kind. That's not remotely what I would consider a professional artist. When I compare my artist's statement and background to the ones of those exhibiting professional, I'm about 1 paragraph to their 5.

So I wonder if people actually think so little of their desired profession that they can label themselves as soon as they do something, or if they just want to screw people out of money by lying about what they do.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• I was always told that being professional meant that you had been paid. Though I do agree that there is a difference between being professional and being A professional (as in acting professionally versus merely being paid and calling oneself a professional). And there is a difference between being "a professional" and being credible or respectable.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• "Then I would call you an accomplished texter :p"

Swype FTW!
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2013