What worked on your child for potty training?

My dd is 2 and she is almost there but some days she just wont do it while other days she will do really well. So I was thinking of something that would motivate her like treat, prize or timer. What worked for your little one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• M&ms - 3 for pee, 5 for bm. It only took days and within a couple weeks we were able to phase out the treats. But largely I think if a child is ready it takes very little motivation to get them to do it.

Answer by missanc at 4:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Because I waited till my daughter, at three and a half, was ready and very interested in succeeding, all it took was ten days, a bag of M&M's, and half a package of pull-ups. By the middle of the second week, she was trained with no accidents, even at night. I think many parents rush the process, and that's why they end up having such a hard time with it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• What worked best for my dd was doing nothing at all. Starting at about 18 months I 'gave her the tools' by showing her and talking to her about the potty process but I allowed her to be in control of when she used them. I would encourage her by asking 'Do you want to go potty?' When she said no I let it go without any pushing. When she said yes I helped her. When she went I praised her when she didn't I told her good try. I let her choose panties or diapers (we never did pull-ups)I never tried to sway her decision. I did not take her potty every 30 minutes or push her to try when she said no. When she felt no pressure she potty trained herself. When she was going potty 85-90% of the time on her own we 'ran out of diapers' and she was done. She was 2.5
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Also keep in mind that *average* ages to be potty trained are 3 years for a girl and 3.5 for a boy. This is an average though so it can be several months in either direction and still be a non-issue. If you get frustrated she will get frustrated so either really take your time or wait until you are sure you are both ready to go all out.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• honestly? candy. and Both of my kids were done in two weeks

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• *and NO pull-ups (only at night), just underwear
    charlotsomtimes

• Be careful.......chocolate can cause constipation. There are many candies you can use.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• I had boys and waited so it was an easy transition.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• We had boys....they wanted to do as daddy did and we made a big deal of it, heaping on the praise. Our friends who had a girl sort of did the same thing ....their daughter wanted to be like mommy.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• not a damn thing. she was a few weeks from starting pre-K (so 4 years old) before she really got it. it was miserable...but hey, she still got it haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2013