Work commute

What has been your longest commute to work?

Until I get a vehicle (and a driver's license) I have to catch a train at 4:00 am to arrive at work at 7:00 am. Coming back seems worse; I just got home about 20 minutes ago after leaving at 3:30 pm.

If you've had a long commute, what ways did you cope with the distance/time you were in transit?

Mrs_Prissy

Asked by Mrs_Prissy at 8:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2013 in Money & Work

• 25 minutes....I have always driven however. I can only image how much that will decrease your commute when you don't rely on Public transportation because you won't have all the additional stops along the way
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• You're right and I meant to mention that in the OP. It's only about a 35 minute drive from downtown.
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Wow! you have my husband and I beat! My longest commute was about 35 minutes. My husband has a daily commute of 1 hour and 15 minutes. Neither one of us take a train or a bus. This has been from our own vehicles.

Personally, I listen to motivational or instructional CD's
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 8:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• I always drove prior to moving to Chicago. It seemed silly to maintain a vehicle with such a good public transit system. I didn't plan for working in the burbs though. Very poor planning on my part.
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Ouch, Mrs_Prissy, that's a dog of a commute! When I was going from where I live now to downtown, I had to travel an hour and a half each way, each day, by bus, then by shuttle, then by light rail, and finally walking a few blocks. I don't miss it. I used to listen to audio books or chat on my cell phone, but it took a serious bite out of every wee.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• My longest was an hour and 15 minutes minimum. I took reading material, embroidery or knitting.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• I have not, I would not, you are a dedicated employee for sure!
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• "I have not, I would not, you are a dedicated employee for sure!"

Not really, just dedicated to paying my rent LOL!
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 9:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• My longest commute was when we lived in Germany and I had my license suspended for speeding. On the days that I didn't have class, I could catch the 6:10 post bus and that was a 35 minute ride with a 5 minute walk after the drop off, so 40 minutes. If I had class, then I got out after the buses ran so I would have to take a less than 5 minute taxi ride to the train station. The train ride was about 35-40 minutes total. Once I arrived at the town I lived in train station, I could take a 5 minute taxi ride or a 15-20 minute walk, so that would be anywhere from 45-65 minute commute. Still nothing like yours though.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• That IS long, holy cow. I think about 45 min just due to traffic. But, our agent in NYC is about as long as you are because he lives way out of the city and trains in.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2013