Should I leave my sons father for his pot smoking habits?

I gave him the ultimatum while I was pregnant either quit or we are leaving. I recently foun out he has been smoking and buying behind my back. With hours being cut at work I know I won't be able to support myself and son without him. I also have no family in the area to help. What should I do?

Ladybug9013

Asked by Ladybug9013 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• What's the big deal.. it's just weed.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 9:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• 1 we can barely pay bills as is. 2 my family is heavily involved in law enforcement
    Ladybug9013

Comment by Ladybug9013 (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Exit strategist, please? I'm not sure but if it's a real problem then you do have to go. One of these gals will have advice but I'd contact family and get a loan, support, a sitter lined up, etc.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Is he a good husband otherwise? Does he keep a job?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Weed is illegal. That's the big deal. Find a way and leave if it is important to you.

Answer by louise2 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• If your family is not in the area, can they still financially help you to move out and help out for a couple months until you manage on your own at another job or the hours increase?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• The money thing I can understand, even though it's not that pricey.... That's about it.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• Weed is illegal.

Depends on your state.  20 states have provisions for its use and possession.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

•  

Not in all states, not anymore. So the whole "weed is illegal" may not apply. That said, she DID give him an ultimatum and if she feels so strongly about it then I would agree she needs to find a way to leave if it's that important to her. 

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2013

• It depends on what it means to you. To some people it's not a big deal and to some people it is.

The thing is-- you can't make threats that you can't/won't follow through on. So don't tell him you will leave unless he stops unless you are able (emotionally or financially) to follow through with the threats. That will just leave you both miserable.

Have you tried telling him how you feel about it?
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 10:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2013