how do i teach my baby to sleep in her crib she is 6 months and breastfeeding

melanie2013

Asked by melanie2013 at 12:55 AM on Aug. 6, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You feed her and rock her or whatever you do and lay her in the bed and pat her back and say that it is time ti sleep. (Baby's name) sleeps in her own wonderful bed. It is time to sleep. If you have some sort of white noise machine turn it on and walk out.
    I suggest you get an exact routine for bed This will also help her fall into the rhythm of sleep
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:15 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Gooooood luck and let me know what works! My first never slept in the crib and my second who is 8 months puts mom and dad on the couch while she sleeps in our bed.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Consistency is the key. She is still young enough that you can get her to fall asleep without too much trouble if you just decide to do it and leave it at that. Crying will not hurt her. If all her needs are met (not wet, hungry) then she will soon realize that this is where she sleeps. You will thank yourself later if you are consistent from day 1. If not, you'll make it months long headache.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 1:25 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• My daughter has two or three CD's that she's listened to as she falls asleep for her whole life. The music helps set the mood for sleep, and then it shuts off by itself so it isn't playing all night. At first, put an old T-shirt or something else you have just worn under the crib sheet so your baby can smell it but not manaege to get it and cover her face. Your scent will soothe her as she drifts off.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:38 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• *I* would start with one nap a day. Nurse her until she is almost asleep and then put her in her crib. I would let her whine/fuss but not full on cry. If she cries go in and comfort her but not pick her up. Pat her back, talk, sing be close. When she is calm, try again to walk out. Once she gets used to one nap a day- add the other nap. Lastly work on night time. This could be a very long process. It took DD several months to be completely sleeping in her bed- she was around 9 months old.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:45 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• By letting her get used to it. I agree with the 2 pps - rock her until she is almost asleep (I didn't nurse right before sleeping except at night), put her in her crib with some soft music on (my youngest 2 had a My Pal Scout/Violet, they learned very early to extend the music if they needed it or woke up in the night) and a small blanket or something you have slept with/worn under your shirt. She may fuss and that's okay. If she starts screaming, go in and start over. It may take quite a bit of time at first.

Answer by missanc at 9:27 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• my son is almost 2....I rock him to sleep with music and when he falls asleep I put him in his bed,good luck
    tigger3itch

Answer by tigger3itch at 11:15 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• All the methods above... but six months is early to expect a lot of success. Did ALL of those things and none of them worked! And I gave them plenty of time to work.

There's a great article on drjaygordon.com about changing the sleep pattern in the family bed. He doesn't recommend it before one year, though.

Baby will sleep in her crib when she's ready. Like pretty much everything in parenting, things happen when THEY are ready and usually long before or after WE are ready for them. (Blink and she's in high school!)

Answer by gdiamante at 2:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2013