Not sure as to how much detail to go into re: teaching daughter her anatomy...

My 16 month old has learned almost all body part, and is starting to point to more and look for names - so far we have not named her 'private' area - although she points to ask.

My feeling is that she should know the real names rather than just calling the whole area her vagina - seeing as there are different parts to be named, labia, vulva etc.

She already know the difference between her knee, her shin and her ankle, so she understand there are different parts to one body area, and I do not think it would confuse her a lot.

How do you/did you go about this with your daughter? Did you give it just a general name 'vagina', or a nickname like 'front bum', or did you teach her the proper names for it?

ladysavage

Asked by ladysavage at 6:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can call it vagina if you'd like or you can call it her "girl part" or something...I think it's too young to teach her in depth about it...That's for when your older, no doubt.
    Anonymous

• We taught her that the front area and underneath is her private area. We call it "Privates." Her bottom is called her butt or booty.
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 6:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• At 1 and 2 I didnt go into detail with my dds other then to tell them that was their vagina and gave basic information.

Answer by gemgem at 6:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I call it my daughter's peepee. When she gets a little older I will name it vulva and when she is much older I will explain all the parts. Because she cannot see them, it will be very confusing to name all the different parts. You can use vagina and when she is older, get more descriptive about the separate parts of her genitals. I see nothing wrong with using the correct words. I have always called my boys parts their penis and testicles, but penis is much easier for a toddler to say than vagina.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 6:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I would not go into all the different parts I would just teach her it is her vagina and that it is a private part. That is what we have done with our girls, then as they get older you can go into more detail
    sew4fun

Answer by sew4fun at 7:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Keep your answer developmentally appropriate. If your child glazes over when you are talking, you know you have given more information than she can understand. I have daughters 3, 5 and 8 years old. They all have different understandings of their private parts. The most important things for them to know about these parts is that 1. people are not allowed to touch them (explain as you need) and 2. if something hurts you need to know about it right away. Their understanding will grow as they get older and you talk to them more about their bodies.
    Mindy-KidCentri

Answer by Mindy-KidCentri at 8:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Just tell her it's a vagina. I never told my kids cutsey names, there really isn't a point. My son is 23 months old and he knows what his penis is and what it is called. There is nothing wrong with that.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I told her it was her vulva, and I even told her about her clitoris and vagina, but mostly we called it vulva and to confess, we also used nic-name too, I guess because I use a nick name for my vulva, but we have nick names for a persons head "noggin" and fingers "pinky" and such. I didn't use nick name for the boys penis, hmmmm, I wonder what that means, some reason, I don't like the sound of female genitals but I do inform my kids the real name and do use it interchangably, if I can call an abrasion a "boo-boo" I don't make body parts taboo to have cute names for most of the time, I have name for breast feeding too. and my breast are often called "boobies" even though I also taught the kids that they are breast.
    Imamom4sure

Answer by Imamom4sure at 11:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2009