For those that don't have a drivers license or got theirs later than 18

why don't you have one? If you got one later how old were you? I am 31 and don't have mine. Noone taught me as a teenager and when I was 17 and a half I met my now husband so I didn't need to drive so I never got them for this reason and for the fact we got in a car accident when I was 13 and my mom went into a cuncushion when she hit the wind shelled and fell asleep so I thought she was dead so I was afraid to drive (still am kind of). But I am also kind of nervous to drive and having someone watching me drive (when I take the driving test) but also I don't have anyone to teach me to drive other than dh and EVERY TIME he teaches me we end up fighting so I give up and just go home. I have 3 kids 8, 5 and 2 the older 2 take a bus to school but I would like to learn to drive before my oldest starts middle school (in 3 more years) because I don't want them going to middle school in our city want to open enroll them. Also how do you get the courage to go out on your own for the first time once you get you get your license?

I am mostly embarrassed to go take the test to get my temps and license because i dont have them and i am 31 years old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Aug. 6, 2013 in General Parenting

• I have a friend that's 35 without a license. It's mind boggling to me, she depends on everyone else if she needs something. I got my dl when I was 16.

Good luck with your temps.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:10 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I had a license for many years but didn't get an IL license when I moved here last summer. I'm regretting that decision now and, like you, I'm nervous about my test. I take it on Friday.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:13 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I got mine as a teen out of necessity, but I think it's important for independence unless you live in a metropolitan area. Have you checked into how much driving schools cost? Someone impartial might be much better at teaching you to drive.

Answer by missanc at 9:14 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I did not get my licenses until I was almost 21. I was scared to drive. I decided to start driving as an intensive to move out of my parents house and get married. I was going to *have* to learn in order to do those things. My DH, BF at the time taught me to drive. I also took a drivers ed course to make me feel better.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:16 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I am 49YO,I have never driven a car. I also have epilepsy,I do not wan to hurt/kill someone out of m desire to drive. I am OK not driving
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 9:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• yes I have looked into it which is a little over 300.00 which I thought about doing but embarrassed cause i will probably be the oldest in the class lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• for some reason all the girls in my family always got their license late. My grandma was in her 30s when she got hers my mom didnt have hers until she was 45 (5 years ago) I am not sure how old my 2 aunts were then my sister is 24 and doesnt have hers either.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I'm 26 and just getting ready to get mine. I wasn't allowed to in high school without getting a job - and it's not that I was lazy, it was that I was super involved in extra curriculars : band, church council, youth council, Upward Bound, etc, etc. In college we had free public transportation, which was much preferred over how expensive it would have been to have a car, pay for parking all year, all that. When I got married and decided to be a SAHM I ended up not really needing it because DH and I did everything together anyway (we both wanted to be at all of ds appointments and to do the shopping together and things). So with ds starting Kindergarten it just feels like it's about time. I've got things for myself lined up (I'm getting involved with an interfaith kind of nonprofit), so it'd be nice to be a little more independent now that I'll have the time to do for me. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I recommend you look into a driving school. Your DH obviously isn't cut out for it, so find an expert who likely has taught people older than you.

Good luck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:27 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• My grandmother never drove, my mother doesn't drive and I've never driven and I'm over 40. I've just always taken the bus, a cab or walked where I needed to go before I met my husband. Sometimes it's a pain in the ass because I have to depend on my husband to take us everywhere but I'm just too damn scared to drive.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:30 AM on Aug. 6, 2013