For those that go to college online

how does it work? What do I need to know? How do I go about finding a school? I have 3 kids the youngest is 2 so I will be home for at LEAST another 3-4 years so why not go to school to be something I want to be rather than getting a job I don't want to do when she starts school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Aug. 6, 2013 in General Parenting

• start by checking at your local community colleges. see if they offer courses online. i would try and stay away from those non-accredited 'online' schools.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:09 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I 2nd checking with your local community college and universities. Many of ours now offer online or mostly online majors, are accredited, and are much cheaper than most of the online only schools. Many employers are becoming more and more wary of the online only schools.

Answer by missanc at 9:11 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• ^^^what they said. I would definitely look into local community colleges. You could check out their website; I'm sure they have a catalog that outlines degrees, certificates, etc. that they offer along with required courses, etc. I'm sure you could request one through the mail also. GL.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• many local colleges have online options, and stay away from the unaccredited online schools...they're not worth it imo. i know Oklahoma University offers an online only option so look into the bigger state schools too. if the program isnt a completely online program you may have to attend some classes on campus or wait longer for required courses to be offered online.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Most state universities offer online programs now. Check with those first.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:44 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Definately check for accredidation before picking a school. I think I used St. Leo University when I was picking up a few extra classes.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 11:01 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I just finished my first semester of online courses through my local community college, and it was great! If it weren't for the online option I would have had to wait until Fall when my youngest was back in school.

How it works: Your school will have a site, CNM's is called blackboard, where all of your class information is. It's where you'll get your weekly learning modules, and for some classes, do the required work. For other classes you'll buy access codes to external sites where all the work is done. From what I can gather, this is a pretty standard system that schools all across the country use.

Check the websites of schools in your area, and read about their distance learning program. Write down any questions you have, then make an appointment with an admissions counselor.

There is one thing to be wary of ~ community colleges offer two sets of programs. Associates of Applied (insert major here),

(cont)
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:34 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• (cont)

and Associates of (insert major here). Do not get yourself into the applied programs if you think you may ever want to move forward in your degree. They are no better than the degrees from a non-accredited school. They'll get you an entry level position when you graduate, but few, if any, of the credits are transferable. You can get the same job when you graduate with either degree, but the non-applied degree will leave you more options in the future.

And yes, I *almost* made that mistake, so that's why I'm pointing it out!
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:42 AM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Local schools often have online programs. I have found though that depending on your area those can be limited. Our local college offers three degrees online. I had to search for an online school that offered business degrees and was flexible on attendance because I work ft and really wouldn't be able to be "in class" online at specific times. I chose Colorado Technical University Online, it is crazy and hectic with the class schedule, but they offer two and four year degree programs as well as a few Masters programs- I am finishing my BS in November, I already had an AA, it will take 22 months total to complete the degree. The harder part is financial aid- completely online schools don't usually do scholarships, so you may end up taking out loans unless you can pay for each class.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2013