What is my problem, why do i cry all the time and think about dying so much since i had my daughter!?

I’m starting to feel more and more crazy every day. My daughter is 2 and a half now so I know it’s not post-partum or anything like that, but anymore I am just soooo emotional about anything to do with kids. Anytime I hear a sad or even super happy story involving kids I just tear up and cant control myself. I just think about what if that was my little girl, Just about every day I find myself worrying about if I died and how my daughter would go on without me. Sometimes it’s to the point I’m crying thinking about it. I worry about everything, I’m so overprotective, and just so emotional at everything she does. I’ve been worried for months now that she would never talk and have had her working with a speech therapist and now she’s talking, I literally want to start balling every time I hear her say a new word. If she does something new I’m yet again so emotional. Some days it’s to the point I can’t concentrate on anything because I’m thinking about her or thinking about if something were to happen to me. I feel like such a loser for letting this consume my life but I can’t seem to help it. How can I stop worrying so much, I feel like I probably have anxiety or something as well, should I look into getting some meds or something to calm these feelings? Someone let me know that I’m not just crazy!

stepmom2B29

Asked by stepmom2B29 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2013 in General Parenting

• You need therapy.
    obsessing over something, to the point it interferes with your everyday activities, requires medical intervention.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Some of what you're saying is normal. Our perspectives about life & the world change once we have children. But if the feelings are so overwhelming that they effect your ability to function, you should seek help from a mental health professional. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• You need to call your doctor... NOW! Sounds like you are depressed.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• How much sleep are you getting? This could be cause by lack of sleep or being overwhelmed. Do you have any outlets like things you enjoy doing? Reading, jogging, knitting, etc? I think you need to find something you like to do. Local Libraries offer evening classes on jewelry making, yoga etc. Maybe you can get out of the house one or two nights a week & have your husband watch the child. You may meet some other Woman to talk to. If you didn't have anxiety before having a child then this may remedy your situation. If you did have anxiety before then it's time to see your Dr. & tell him how you are feeling. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I have to agree with feral ^^^^

Some depression is normal, yes.... but if it motivates your everyday living, you need professional help.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• You said you have been feeling this way for months, it very will could be postpartum, please speak to your doctor ASAP!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I went through something very similar after I had my baby. I had to get my gallbladder out about ten weeks after she was born, and I was paralyzed with fear, not of the surgery exactly but that something would happen to me and I wouldn't get to raise my daughter. The feeling did ease off after a few months, so some of it might have been hormonal, but I still gt bouts of anxiety once in a while, "what-if" thoughts about something awful happening to me or her. It's only natural, the world can be a scary place, but if it has become debilitating you need to talk to your doctor. Postpartum depression is nothing to mess around with, and living in dread and tears is no way to go. Meds and/or talk therapy may help you see light at the end of the tunnel.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• That sounds exactly like anxiety, very difficult thing to go though but very treatable and very common! I have had it on and off my whole life. I would definately research about it and about all your options for treatment. Good Luck, PM me anytime.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• No one calls it "crazy" any more. But you do need to see a doctor. Immediately. Your reactions are not normal ones, so you need to see if there's something going on like a hormonal imbalance. Maybe pregnancy?

Answer by gdiamante at 2:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Sounds like something to discuss with a mental health professional. I don't think a little worry is uncommon, but I do think what you describe is not common.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2013