What meals do your kids like to eat?

My ds is a VERY pick eater and most of the time all he will eat is spaghetti, chicken nuggets and pizza. (I do cook healthy stuff too, he just won't eat it). He also has developmental delays so I'm not going to tell him "eat what I cooked or eat nothing at all."

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2013 in Food & Drink

• josiesmommy, I would suggest sneaking stuff into foods that he will already eat. Canned pumpkin is one of the best ones for us. We put it in meatloaf and spaghetti sauce without him noticing. It at least adds some fiber and vitamins. We sometimes can sneak some spinach into darker foods, but that's more difficult. We tried cauliflower into mac-n-cheese, and he refused to eat it, so we didn't do that again.
    I've also started giving him instant breakfast in almond milk every morning to add some vitamins and calories. He's still lost 4 pounds over the last two months of summer from not having his regular breakfast and lunch routine. It's difficult to get him to eat.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• We had one of my kids' favorites last night - Kielbasa & pierogies. My son is a huge fan of ginger ale chicken & my daughter would eat franks and beans everyday if I would let her.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 1:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Just because a child has developmental delays doesn't mean you can't treat them like any other child.

^^ I agree and also disagree with this. Yes, they should be able to eat pretty much anything, BUT with some kids, especially ones with sensory issues, you run the risk of them not eating at all. While most kids will eat when they get hungry enough, some just won't. I had my son on a gluten free diet a few years ago because of his doctor's recommendation, and because the foods didn't taste right to him or have the right texture, he just didn't eat. He is already very thin and lost weight so quickly that after two months of trying, he was below the growth charts for weight. We gave up on the gluten free diet and he started eating again.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• My oldest, now 15, has autism and is also a very picky eater. I let him have a peanut butter sandwich every night for supper, but I also make him eat a little of everything we are eating before he gets it. I think having been strict when he was little and made him follow the same rules as my typical children has made a world of difference in how easy he is now.
    All 5 of my kids love ravioli and pizza. Most of them love macaroni and cheese and baked chicken. Hash brown casserole and scrambled eggs are a huge favorite too.

Answer by missanc at 1:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Mine would live on spaghetti and pizza if I let them. My teenage stepson has Asperger's, and he also had growth delays, so his parents spent years letting him get away with fixing himself something else to eat if he didn't like what was being served to the family. They created a monster. Now he's a terribly picky eater who won't touch veggies except corn and peas. He'll eat a few fruits. But he's a nightmare to cook for because in my house, to set a good example for his little sister, he has to eat at least a little of what I make. He does, but you should hear the long-suffering, dramatic teenager sighs that come out of him while he's doing it! Then, as soon as dinner is over, he's making himself taquitos or waffles or a pot pie. And he's addicted to junk food. I hate it with a passion. I'm not the mom, so there isn't much I can do, but if I were you, I'd nip it in the bud at any cost while your son is young.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• They love spaghetti, although we have been dumping a can of raw pumpkin into the sauce and using whole grain noodles and turkey meat balls, so it's a bit better for them.
    My kids love fish tacos, pizza, anything with chicken. My youngest loves tuna fish sandwiches and he also loves lentils. My oldest son hates those but loves peanut butter.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• My son has autism. He WAS a picky eater. I guess I'm a sucky mom because I did tell him he eats what I cook or nothing. Yes, he had meltdowns at first, but I persisted. It worked for me. He now eats almost anything and will try almost anything. Just because a child has developmental delays doesn't mean you can't treat them like any other child.

BUT, I can tell you when we go out to eat, he normally orders chicken nuggets and fries if it is available. But if not, he will pick something else. If we go out for Chinese, he will order sesame chicken with rice and crab rangoon, even though chicken nuggets and fries usually are available.

ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 1:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Ds LOVES my chicken enchiladas. I do a batch at the beginning of the month, individually wrap and freeze them, and he'll beg for them for dinner, which is fine by me, because all I have to do is pop one in the microwave.

He chowed down on my white chicken chili yesterday, too. Usually it's hard to get him to eat what I make, so I'm glad I'm finally finding things he'll eat, or that he's finally coming around and eating what I make - I guess I'm still not sure what it is... He does love macaroni, though. And he's going through a peanut butter sandwich phase (he's only 5, lol). He asks for them all the time. He actually asked for fish the other day, when usually he refuses to eat it... So I guess we're just finally getting to where he likes eating what I cook, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• JulieJaclobKyle

I understand about sensory issues. My son has issues with certain textures and I respect those boundaries. He loves apples and apple juice, but can't abide apple sauce. He'll eat boiled potatoes and french fries, but can't stand mashed potatoes. Those issues are different than not even trying. I won't make him something else, he just doesn't eat that part of the meal.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 1:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I could quicker say what mine won't eat! Really though, I'm blessed with kids who like almost anything, and will try most new things willingly. One of them is somewhat picky but she's improving!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 2:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2013