I just can't put him to sleep, IDK what to do.

Our 15 year old dog is blind and has horrible arthritis, the meds are no longer working. He has bitten about 3 people, because they touch him wrong, I talked with my vet and he agrees that it is time. I just can't go through with it.
I have the appointment on Monday, but I really just don't want to.

2kids2dogs2cats

Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2013 in Pets

• Look Lady!
    There is nothing selfish about not wanting to lose a beloved family member. So just stop the negative self speak.
    Like I said, this is a member of the family. You love him. He is sick. He is in pain. You are taking active steps to end that pain which will result in his death.
    If you felt no sadness, no reservations then- and only then would we discuss your mental stability.

*the above tone is firm & loving intended to to be supportive & encouraging

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I had to put mine down at 16. We did the same thing had the whole family over and then my daughter and DH took him. That was 2 years ago in may. We miss him everyday. You are doing right by him.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 2:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I know how wrenching it is. Putting down my first guide dog was one of the hardest tings I ever had to do. I sill cry over it sometimes, and that was years ago. But there comes a point, if you love your pet more than you love yourself, where you have to take a deep breath, bawl your eyes out, and say goodbye. I wish there was something to say that would make it easier.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• He will go to sleep very peacefully, and he won't suffer anymore.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Is it possible for the vet to go to your home to do it instead? You and your dog would be in your own environment then, feeling more comfortable. It's so sad when pets have to go, but his suffering has to end.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• It is really hard and I feel for you. The way I got through it was to remind myself that I am keeping him alive for me and it is a kindness to end his misery. I held mine through the process and it just about killed me but I could not let him go without my loving arms around him.
    It has been over 15 years andnow I am crying and I do not cry.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• :(
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• {{hugs}}} I'm sorry, I can't give you any advice. The dog I group up with was bliond and arthritic but we couldn't put him to sleep either. He died at home. But he never bit anyone.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Because he is a member of the family and you have qualms about ending a life?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I am so sorry you're going through this. Hugs. :(
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2013