Leave the food out til a certain time, or feed the puppy at specific times?

when i went and picked up our pup today, the staff told me she just ate so she doesn't need to eat again until tonight. i think the poor thing is hungry.... im used to just leaving the food til 6 or so with my other dog. besides, i thought puppies were suppose to eat 3 times a day, not 2?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2013 in Pets

• I am a feed at will type of owner and I have always had healthy dogs. They eat a little throughout the day. Isn't that what doctors are telling us is healthier for humans as well?
    The only time I regulated was to teach that I am in control of the food and that snapping when someone gets near the food is not acceptable. I can literally take the foo out of my dogs mouths. The only other time I would consider it is if they were overweight, or were going to have surgery (medical).
    I think it is your choice. But yes puppies 3 times a day if you are regulating, especially if they are active.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I would say hold off for an hour or so, you don't want her tummy to be upset after her car ride etc. I agree with Dardenella, I think a puppy needs to have portion control, but should just like a child be able to eat when they are hungry.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• A lot depends on the breed. With our chihuaha it was give him access whenever he wanted, and give him additional nutritional supplement, because they need a lot of concentrated calories just to break even.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• The day we got our puppy we were told to leave it out pretty much 24/7 at first because she was so tiny and needed to eat frequently to keep her blood sugar regulated. She's 10 months old now and I still leave it out 24/7 just because her appetite is so sporadic (she's only 5 lbs and is full grown). We also have a lab we got at 10 weeks and we've always given her her bowl in the morning and left it out whether she ate it all or not (she's 9 yrs now).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• When I had my dog, I always fed him at specific times. Mainly because he was a little (or rather, a big) pig who would eat and eat and eat until he made himself sick. So I fed him at specific times so I could portion it out and give him enough to satisfy him and keep him healthy but prevent him from gorging.

But when I have cats, I put food out and let them eat when they want, and I know people who do the same with dogs, so I think it really depends on the individual animal itself.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I prefer to feed my dog at certain times, only so I know roughly when she will want to relieve herself. But she goes everywhere with me, to restaurants and stores and the like, so knowing her schedule is important. Otherwise, I think it's persona preference.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• My sister can leave her food out all day and the dogs will only eat when hungry. If I left food out all day, my dog would eat and eat and the dish would never have food in it because she would keep asking for more.

I think this might be a case of needing to know your animal. Maybe give a little to see if that is what the little one needs.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 3:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Puppies I feed 3 meals a day. Morning noon and night. Water anytime they wanted it. Adults I feed twice a day. morning and evening.
    I heard if you feed you dog once a day they can eat to much and there stomach can twist. Feed more meals and less food is better.

Answer by louise2 at 3:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• My dogs were always grazers. They'd never stand at the bowl & eat the whole thing all at once. So I filled it in the morning & again in the evening. I agree with waiting a little while since it just had a car ride & lots of excitement. If you really think it's hungry, give it a treat or 2.

What kind of puppy is it? Did you get it from a shelter?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I still do three times a day, even though mine is seven years old. But mostly because she gets canned food and it can't sit out all day.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2013