Would you ever do a carb-free diet for your kids?

This came up the other day w/ my middle son who's on this major health kick. When they 1st came out with the Atkins diet, I thought it was another fad diet. Quite frankly, the way I was raised (meat & potatoes, beef & noodles, etc.) I don't think I could ever give up my pasta or bread. Plus, I'm just not that creative in the kitchen.

So, since he seems to think they way he was raised or fed wasn't healthy, should I even consider it for my 11 y/o? What do you pack in a school lunch if a sandwich isn't included?

Thoughts?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Nope, it isn't all that healthy from what I can tell and if you slip up you gain weight fast. You can cut back on the carbs and do healthier ones, but I wouldn't cut them out entirely.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• " He said some pretty hurtful things yesterday & I've so had it w/ the boy. :("

You've got to quit letting him do this to you. When my oldest daughter pulled that crap on me (bringing up perceived slights from 12 years before ) I simply said "You're alive, right? Healthy? Got a good job and education? So, knock it off. We do the best we can at the time"

Otherwise, you spend a ridiculous amount of time feeling guilty for something that's not even relevant. Plus, ask yourself why you're willing to drastically modify your younger child's diet based on hurtful words from your older son. You and your daughter gain nothing from that and it provides him with more ammunition to use against you in the future. It's not his job to modify your behavior.

You be the boss of him, not vice versa
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• nope. I wouldn't- I don't think going carbless is *all* that healthy, just eat better ones....
    I might go with letting him eat less of them- but not cut them entirely
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• *also there are carbs in a LOT of things (besides bread/noodles/potatos) -it would be seriously hard to cut them all out...you know- if that's what he's going for ;)

and I wouldn't do glute free either-unless there is a medical reason for it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I wouldn't either, maybe gluten free, but not carb free.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• No I wouldn't. I'm not convinced it's healthy.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Atkins is NOT carb free. Carb free is very unhealthy and reduces brain function.
    It is low carb.
    The theory being processed sugar is processed too quickly and leads to health concerns.
    Actually, if you study a little bit a diabetic diet it is rather similar.

As to what to pack for lunch?
    Start with salad and veggies. Then add whole grains high in fiber
    And you can have carbs, just instead of two slices of bread, you make a sandwich with one slice of bread, more protein and lots of veggies.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• instead of bread, wrap it up in a garden spinach wrap, I would Never cut carbs completely out because I think every one needs a little carbs, and I just don't think I would be able to physically stop myself from indulging in pasta, but there are always ways you can cut back. Use coconut flour(gluten free) and make your own pasta and breads.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I don't think an extremely low carb diet is a great idea for a growing child. Of course there are better carbs than others. Whole wheat vs. white and lower sodium or fat versions of crackers. Brown rice vs. white rice, ect... the right carbs in the right protions are not a bad thing for most people.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• "I have lost 65 lbs so far and I eat plenty of carbs so..."

Same for me. I just walk and cut my calories and have lost a lot of weight. No special meals required :)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2013