Concerned about high blood pressure

I am 50 yrs. old and weigh 234 lbs. I am overweight. My blood pressure been checking high, been checking it for couple days, it's been in the 144/88 or 154/90 range. I seen my doctor today & at the doctor's office it was 152/92.
The doctor said my blood pressure was elevated high, but not to the point of being dangerous yet.
So the doctor said that before he put me on blood pressure medication, I should try to change my diet, cut out sodium, exercise and loose weight first to bring blood pressure down. He said if I can't do it on my own, he could give me blood pressure medication.
How long would it take for change of diet, exercising, & losing weight to bring my blood pressure down? Has anyone else hah high blood pressure and then bring it down by change of diet, or exercising or by weightloss?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2013 in Health

• It can happen almost over night. My hubby has done this and he is now in excellent health. Most all the high blood pressure meds have pretty serious side effects or the potential of them, so I would do everything I possibly could to avoid having to take them. The latest one I heard just yesterday said there is now a link between some blood pressure meds and breast cancer. Also, the numbers for normal have been greatly reduced in the last several years. When I was in high school, normal was considered to be 100 plus your age over 90. That has been way reduced. Just walking every day will cause it to come down. My hubby also drinks a lot of low sodium V8 which is extremely rich in potassium which is a natural blood pressure reducer.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Mine did in less than a month - it was probably within the first day or two, but it was a month between appointments.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• My HBP is hereditary. Everyone in my family has it & none of us are overweight. So I take bp meds for it. Now my BP is consistently 120/60. If others in your family have it then you may have to take meds anyway.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Walking at least three times a week keeps my BP in a normal range. It always goes up when I stop the walking. Doesn't work for everyone, though. My doctor told me that any reading consistently over 140/90 should be treated
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• No body in my family has high blood pressure, so it is not inherited. My guess is that my weight, and lack of eating healthy or exercising plays a big part in my high blood pressure.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2013