Am I over reacting?

Okay background. I was rear ended last monday by a 17 year old kid. I called the insurance company as soon as I got home with his information. I got a call from his mother a short time later asking me to not turn it in to the insurance company to keep their premium from going up. I am too nice and agreed. I agreed to get an estimate from their guy and my guy. I got 3 estimates and 2 of them said the bumper could not be repaired and needed completely replaced but their guy said it could be repaired. The told me they would only pay for repairing it because my car was not worth that much money and insinuated that I had talked the other two places into replacing it. Well I told them they either pay to replace or I was turning it into the insurance company. We came to an agreement and were to meet today at a notary to sign a paper saying I wouldn't go after their insurance and pay me. They had said they would get a certified check since I would not accept a personal check. They showed up with a bag full of money. They handed me 800 $1 bills and $90 in quarters! I counted it before accepting it of course.

I am now completely tainted and will never do a stranger a favor. Would you be pissed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2013 in Money & Work

• I wouldn't have done a stranger a favor. It would have went to the insurance company. No favors when it comes to someone damaging my property.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• No, when it comes to car accidents, I would have called their insurance. Well, no, I take that back. When she asked me not to call insurance, I would have told her she had two options: I call her insurance or it goes to court. But that whole signing in front of a notary that I wouldn't go after their insurance and them giving me literal change for what they owe? Wouldn't happen.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• maybe the mother was a stripper??
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 9:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Money is money. This was a mistake from the beginning but at least you got paid.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Some one rear ended me. I called the cops. Best way to do it. So you have proof and you can get the police report. Take it to the insurance company. In this situation. Never listen to the other person.
    The lady who rear ended me said " It is only a scratch" Yea, a $800 scratch .

Answer by louise2 at 8:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• The scary thing is that this kid could in the future get into a more serious accident. And to be honest, I don't know if a notarized statement really applies in this case.

I would talk with a lawyer. They might just use this against you.

ALWAYS go to the insurance company. Their increased premium because of HIS driving is not YOUR problem.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• That sucks, bigtime. I'm sorry you got burned.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• oh and I don't think your wrong to be upset but don't allow someone to ruin your kindness.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 9:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I would consider it a lesson learned.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 10:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• They handed you the money that way to be nasty about it. I would have refused and told them that though I was willing to do them the favor, they decided to insult me and I would simply turn it in to the insurance company. A nd I would have walked t the door and called.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2013