Why do people insist on medicating their children for behavior?

Why do parents think it is a good idea to give kids pills to change their behavior. My nephew is 5 and just started on ADHD medication for, get this, being unable to sit still at a table. He kicks his feet or wiggles in his chair. He is a 5 year old boy! He is supposed to move and wiggle. Then you see these parents who have thier kids on 2-3 different medications trying to make them act right instead of just enforcing rules. I understand that some kids do really need medication but it seems like half the nations kids are on pills. It's nuts!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2013 in Kids' Health

• popcorn

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Are you sure there not more to it than just not being able to sit still? My son has ADHD and emotional issues. He is VERY Implusive. After trying many things, we finally had to put him on meds so that he could learn how to cope with it. Before meds we were in the ER all the time for him not even being able to walk down the stairs without getting distracted, stumbing, and hitting his head. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• My son is on a non-stimulant for impulsive behavior and emotional regulation. We were not prepared to put him on a stimulant yet since long term effects have not been verified. I absolutely would consider one if that is what it came down to though. So far we are happy with what he is on. I would like to add and anxiety medication though. A lot of DS's issues stem from anxiety. I am not a big fan of medication and I was nervous even suggesting it to the psych. but I will say it was the right choice at the right moment. This is a tool, a stepping stone. con't
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Why do anon trolls come online and talk out of their asses?

If you were really concerned you would talk to the child's mother.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• You obviously know very fucking little about ADHD. I suggest you actually educate yourself before spouting nonsense. You're either clueless about ADHD or you're a troll who is bored. Which one is it?
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I do not by any means feel we will have DS on medication to help him be less compulsive and aggravated his whole life... but he is not going to learn to cope with the stress when the stress is THAT high. I do feel he will always be on some sort of anxiety medication but that is okay. Taking away some of his anxiety is going to help his quality of life and that is what we really want right?
    But_Mommie

• omg prissy. that deer, or whatever the fuck that is, creeps me out everytime.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Spoken like someone who has never been thru this. Until you have a child who truly has ADHD, then you have no right to judge how a parent & that child's Dr. chose to help them function normally. And it's not just about medicating them, it's also about working out a behavioral plan and in some cases, making changes to their diet.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I have to agree with you on this.

Answer by louise2 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2013