Allergic reaction

I gave my niece bush's country style baked beans about an hour ago and just noticed now she has a red rash and lil bumps on her forehead and eye.. she's fine.. breathing but I never dealt with an allergic reaction before.. any advice??

aztecqueen22

Asked by aztecqueen22 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try some anti-itching cream or calamine lotion if the bumps are bothering her. There's no way to know for sure from one occurrence if she's having an allergic reaction, or if the reaction is to the baked beans and not to a bug bite or weed or something else she came in contact with, but in the future you might be careful of anything on the beans label that she doesn't usually eat. If she gets worse, call her pediatrician.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• hmmm, bacon seems an unlikely allergen

But! It could be a protein allergy
    Weird.
    But, like I said, ER gives benadryl...could yu try to feed it to her again next week and see what happens?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Hows the kid?
    Benadryl is what the hospital administers in such cases
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• I just saw the redness and tiny bumps.. she wasn't scratching or anything else. Its gone now. But my sis said she might be allergic to bacon.. I gave her bacon before once but didn't see any rash etc.
    aztecqueen22

Comment by aztecqueen22 (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• probably something irritated her skin. My sil swears her kids are allergic to ketchup b/c they get a little red when they get it on their skin. My son breaks out if he gets spaghetti sauce on his skin but he's not allergic, just the acidity of the tomatoes makes his skin a little irritated but it's just a dermatological reaction, nothing serious.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:01 AM on Aug. 7, 2013

• Try Benadryl and just keep an eye on it if it gets worse take her into the hospital. But the Benadryl should help. And if it is itchy put some anti itch cream on it just be ventral cause it may and may not hurt to touch the irrated area.
    DestinyJDavis

Answer by DestinyJDavis at 12:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2013