Question about Caterpillars

Have any of you used those mesh habitats where you order a cup of live caterpillars through the mail so you can watch them spin their cocoons and transform into butterflies? I have a question. My daughter got the kit for her birthday last spring, and I finally got around to ordering the caterpillars, which came in the mail a few weeks ago in a see-through cup with their own food. My daughter and stepson loved watching them crawl around and eat, and eventually attach themselves to the paper disk at the top of the cup and spin their cocoons. We let the cocoons harden for a few days like the directions said, then peeled the paper disk off the cup lid and pinned it to the mesh habitat. We put the habitat out on the porch, and that's when things went wrong. We had a bad rainstorm with wind and hail, and the mesh habitat blew over and tumbled around awhile before we found it on its side.

The cocoons are all still attached to the paper disk, but the disk came unpinned from the top of the habitat. If I pin the disk back up, is there a chance the butterflies will still emerge? I know only time will tell for sure, but my daughter is heartbroken. I was hoping maybe someone would have done this before and had a similar, successful experience.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 10:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2013 in Home & Garden

• As long as the cocoons were still in tact the butterflies should be fine. The butterflies should emerge in about 10 days to 2 weeks...
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2013

• Outlook not so good? Maybe? Have a bump though!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2013